Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after using my 8N lightly for about an hour yesterday[pretty much just pulling a small cart around] I shut her down, and went to check the oil. Notesed something pretty strange. It was not hot. Warm yae, but I could put my hand on the head, and hold it there. After a check of the rad, I found that almost cold. Now I know the N's run pretty cool, but that seems pretty cold.

Now there should be a Tstat mounted in the upper hose right? Mine does not seem to have one. I am thinking this is one of the reasons she smokes so much. Just never getting up to temp at all.

So now I guess it;s off to get a Tstat. Does it come with a new upper hose, or do you have to buy it sepret? Did in fack all N's come with one? Any chance that upper hose will come off without removing the hood? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
All Ns came with a Tstat ---- You can get it from my favorite place, www.just8ns.com Item Information:
9N 8575 Thermostat Assembly 1939-52 $10.00

You do buy it seperately as far as I know. I cannot imagine (after just removing my hood this past weekend that you would be able to get to the hose clamps without removing the hood! Plus you would be cursing and yelling for a lot longer time than it would take to remove it. Remember 4 bolts around dash, 4 side bolts/screws if you have pre-cleaner air filter, 2 lower dogear bolts on front of tractor and remember to check your wiring and disconnect all wire retainers and headlight wires before removing.... Also dont forget to unscrew the fuel line going to the carb from the fuel bowl assembly on the gas tank. Have fun!

PS:
I would say that the smoking is still related mostly to worn engine rather than just the lack of thermostat. Do a much easier compression test with the hood off in any case and while you are there check the water pump for excess slop in the bearings. Also clean and check your fan shroud, blades, distributor and king pin on your front axle.

Cheers!

:captain:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
forgot about the tank. That come off with the hood? And guess what. I JUST filled it.:eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well got the Tstat coming. "looks" like the hoses are OK, and I may be able to just remove the engine side of the hose, and slip the Tstat in without removing the hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts