Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just removed the old clutch and the way it was in was with the pulley facing the motor. The new clutch I got has a spacer inside preventing me from putting it in that way and has a caution sticker saying to have the coil face the motor not the pulley. So if I put the new one in the only way it fits onto the shaft the belts all fucked up. So what am I doing or what do I gotta do? The first image represents how I need the new one to go in.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Hello Skyfall1095, welcome to the forum.

Looks like you got the wrong clutch. Return it and take the old one with you so they get it right this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Skyfall1095, welcome to the forum.

Looks like you got the wrong clutch. Return it and take the old one with you so they get it right this time.
the number on the old clutch I looked it up and this was the one they recommended. Supposedly this part replaces the old one. There was a pulleythat goes in first that I totally forgot about. But it looks like it’s broke cause they key part is loose the small rectangular piece that connects the pulley to the shaft. Do I just push the pulley up, push the key lock up as well so it’s flush and all is connected then put on the new clutch?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The upper pulley is the ground drive pulley (makes it go). The clutch pulley is for the deck drive. They have to line up with the other pulleys in the belt routing. That new clutch has a built in key way. It appears your older one didn't. You'll need to shorten the key to be flush with the bottom of the upper pulley to lock it to the crank, and then the new clutch locks to the crank with it's built in key. You can try flipping the upper pulley over and see if that flange/spacer in the last picture you posted gives you better alignment for the belts. If not, you may need to make spacers to get the drive and clutch pulleys to line up correctly. The crankshaft is either 1", or 1 1/8" diameter. You could make the spacer out of a $3 cast iron pipe nipple if it's 1". Torque spec on the clutch mounting bolt is usually 55 Ft Lbs. If that's an Extreme clutch, that's a critical spec as it preloads the clutch bearings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The upper pulley is the ground drive pulley (makes it go). The clutch pulley is for the deck drive. They have to line up with the other pulleys in the belt routing. That new clutch has a built in key way. It appears your older one didn't. You'll need to shorten the key to be flush with the bottom of the upper pulley to lock it to the crank, and then the new clutch locks to the crank with it's built in key. You can try flipping the upper pulley over and see if that flange/spacer in the last picture you posted gives you better alignment for the belts. If not, you may need to make spacers to get the drive and clutch pulleys to line up correctly. The crankshaft is either 1", or 1 1/8" diameter. You could make the spacer out of a $3 cast iron pipe nipple if it's 1". Torque spec on the clutch mounting bolt is usually 55 Ft Lbs. If that's and Extreme clutch, that's a critical spec as it preloads the clutch bearings.
Jesus you just solved everything. Thank goodness and thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I put it all in and this is end result. But when I turned the engine on and let it idle without activating the PTO THAT BOLT IN THE MIDDLE WAS SPINNING. What did I do wrong ? Lol

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The clutch mount bolt is mechanically attached by the threads to the end of the crankshaft and "spins" as the crankshaft is turning. The clutch pulley will start to "spin" when you actually engage the clutch. It's current state is disengaged. Its is as if you pushed the clutch in on a car. The crankshaft of engine turns, but the wheels don't receive any power from the engine.

"Clutch" = a mechanism for connecting and disconnecting an engine from its power distribution system.

Activate the clutch..... The pulley will magnetically lock to the crankshaft through the 12V clutch, start to spin, and the deck belt will start moving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts