closing in metal carport

Discussion in 'Home, Yard and Workshop Display' started by DrBailey, Nov 20, 2011.

1. DrBailey

DrBailey Lifetime Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2004
    In the last two months I have been closing in a metal carport and building in a roof (or lean-to) connecting my big shop,the carport and a utility shed. The idea was to have a dry storage for four small lawn and garden tractors.
    I will post pics of this project, then in another thread I will post pics of closing in a carport on my home.
    Keep in mind, I am not a carpenter, This is probably the first successful build I have ever done. There are plenty of mistakes and faults but Im a simple man, dont take much to make me happy!

Attached Files:

2. DrBailey

Nov 14, 2004
    one more pic of carport,almost done.
    four pics of the lean-to

Attached Files:

3. tractor beam

tractor beam ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS Staff Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Priest River, Idaho
    Looking good DR! Looks to be a nice little workshop!

4. BelarusBulldog

BelarusBulldog Registered User

Feb 19, 2011
    :cool: Nothing wrong with that build, I would like to have something like that myself. I'm guessing you don't have to worry about snow loads on the roof, looks like a large span in the pictures. Thanks for sharing with us, and keep the pictures coming with updates. Bye

5. DrBailey

Nov 14, 2004
    The metal port has been in place for approx.10 years, its had two or three 12 and 18 inch snow's on it. mostly our snow depths ar from 2 inch to 6 inch. Ice is our biggest problem.
    This build is only for boat and tractor storage.My work shop is next to this carport.
    Thanks, and thanks tractor Beam

6. Cublover

Cublover Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    My 'carport' thing was 18X36x12. Added snow load braces and insulation.
    Now it's a shop. The stuff that made it a 'shop' was laying there for 5 years before the boys and I actually used it.
    The people that wasted my time and dream let it lay for 5 years.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  7. wjjones

wjjones Moderator Staff Member

May 27, 2010
    Nice job.. I have been considering doing ours like this its a 20x22, and I wondered what it would look like now I know.. Are you going to put a garage door on the other end?

8. DrBailey

Nov 14, 2004
    I havnt planned on a garage door on it, I think a door on it would make it a taxable building instead of a carport.

9. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    How about a canvas tarp that you can roll up on a pipe suspended above the doorway. You could put a pipe at the bottom to keep it stable and weighted down, then just crank the upper pipe to unroll it and cover the opening when it rains or snows. Roll it back up when done and you are all set. That's what I want to do with my shop until I get some overhead doors installed. The sliding doors I have now don't seal very well and let out a lot of heat in winter.

10. DrBailey

Nov 14, 2004
    The tarp idea is what I have planed for this winter, might do something different come Spring.

11. Thomas

Thomas Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2006
    No doubt about it,if your regular job should end indeed you have fall back job,nice..nice job Dr.:cool:

12. Cublover

Cublover Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Only if they can see the end of it from the street.
    Md looks at those carports as a 'tent'. A temporary structure that can be gone in 1/2 a day.

13. imlouisehale

imlouisehale New Member

Nov 22, 2012
    You did it very well. Just like an expert :thumbsup:, I'm not just kidding you but I tell the truth. Unbelievable that this was your first time.

14. DrBailey

Nov 14, 2004
    imlouisehale and thomas , thanks for the kind words, I did enjoy doing that and it has worked out real well.
    I enjoy this building thing, I even closed in my back porch deck this past Summer. Almost done but not quit

15. DrBailey

Nov 14, 2004
    I dont think I posted the inclosing build on my house car-port, If I did Im sorry for the repeat. I actually did this last Fall right after the metal car-port job.
    It is complete inside and out now, sorry for not to good of pics.

Attached Files:

16. DrBailey

Nov 14, 2004
    Here is a pic I forgot,

Attached Files:

17. Tarp_man

Tarp_man New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Wow!!! You get an A+ on that job. I didn't think that you could make a metal carport look that good. Maybe you need to go into the contracting business full time. That carport definitely isn't going anywhere.
    Storage garages and carports

18. grnspot110

grnspot110 Registered User

Aug 1, 2010
    Nice work!!!

19. fatjay

fatjay Registered User

Dec 6, 2013
    Looks very good. I'd have probably put stone down first though. In my area that would become a muddy MESS come the wet season. I'm very jealous though, I don't have anywhere near the room I want/need.

20. DrBailey

Nov 14, 2004
    originally I parked my motor home where the metal carport is now. there is a asphalt pad poured there. my intention was and is to put down some corse rock around that area. It will not be used as a work shop , only boat and car storage.