Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a chipper for my JD2100. Its a 23hp compact tractor. From a power and weight perspective a Bx42 is a close match, its rated for 4" limbs and has a 100 lb flywheel. OTOH I see Woodmax 8" models that have a 200lb flywheel & motor feeder. I am thinking I can use the 8" one as long as I restrict limbs to like 4" so the load on the tractor is not so high. The woodmax is 200lb over my weight limit as well but I feel like that is ok as long as I am not rough bouncing it around, maybe even have to drag it a bit. The woodmax 8" would require some discipline using it.
I know that's pushing it for the tractor so I'd like to hear experiences from you guys. yes I know JD parts are VERY EXPENSIVE.
tks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mistake I was going by memory its a 2210. The bucket is a 210. It is a Japanese Yanmar rebadge.
Yes I understand that the hp is not enough to operate an 8" at full strength. I think my 2210 is 18hp at the PTO. I figure I'd just get the rpm up and then only load in stuff smaller than 4" slowly. Unless, there are lots of frictional losses besides the chipping. I'm looking for something to chip up a lot of small cedar (mountain junipper). I was thinking that an 8' woodmax might be easier to resell later. The other issue is lifting it since the woodmax is 200lb too heavy according to JD specs. I know its pushing everything.

Just wanted to see what other people have tried.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My situation is a bit abnormal. I let my back 4 acres get taken over by cedars before I retired. They were killing the desirable trees so finally I cut the cedars down. That resulted in a line about 15ft x 500ft of cedars that needs to go somewhere. Normally I'd just haul the occasional stuff off but this is so much. I used to burn stuff like this but I've gotten spooked by burning since we don't have fire hydrants in our neighborhood.

I suspect that the bx42 is gonna be the way to go. Chip this stuff up over the course of months and then sell it. Kinda like renting it, but I was thinking I could use the 8" for resellability.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a good point, in my case its an electric hydraulic clutch that can be engaged at low rpm and then speed up the engine. That's what I do with the shredder. However, that 200lb chipper might cause that hydraulic clutch to run hotter than it would normally due to slip. My shredder is only a 4 ft version so its not a big load. I am slowly talking myself out of the 8" version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts