Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is interested in a few seed potatoes, let me know. I bought 5lbs of these from a fabulous online store and after cutting them up into "seed portions" with minimum of 3 eyes each, I think I just used about 1lb. I just built my "potato box" (vertical box for growing tubers and it will yield usually over 100lbs of potatoes at least) I don't know about the limitations of shipping agricultural stuff, but I cannot imagine that it would be too difficult just to toss em in a box and ship it out.
Maybe Jodyand would be a good resource ---- as I need to get my railroad piece anyhow. :D

:furious:

Cheers, my friends.
Andy

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
How do you grow potato's the wife was just getting rid of some brown tater this morning thats had sprouts on them and ask if we could plant them. I toled her i don't know anything about potato's.:D
Jody

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
You dig a trench about 6 - 8 inches deep. Drop a seed in every foot or so. Bury it all and when the tater plants sprout through you bury them a little more. When the plants start dieing off...you dig potatoes.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Taters are easy to plant. Make a mound of dirt, then take a potatoe with an eye or sprout and cut it into a cube or wedge approximately 1" cube or so, and just bury it about 4 to 6 inches deep. As the plant grows throw a bit more loose dirt on top or mulch heavy with pinestraw or straw. You can grow taters in a used tire and just keep stacking on more used tires as the plant grows. My soil is a rich in organics & sandy with some loam in it and its great for growing potatoes. I usually plant them and the cover with dirt one time and from there out use nothing but pine straw.

Its a good idea not to plant regular potatoes though, as some potatoes can get a type of disease that will kill a future yeild of them. Buying seed potatoes certifies that the seed potatoes are free of the potaoe disease what ever it is called. However that said, I have planted potatoes that were bought out of the grocery store for years without any problems and they have always done fine. Nothing like digging up a few potatoes and picking some snap beans and making a first class meal out of them Put the snaps and diced or whole if theyare small potatoes in a pot with water and cook until done. You can add a ham hock for additional flavor. My grandmother used to add lots of sugar and add a dumplin type dough to it, and it was sure some good eating on a cold winter day.......IIRC it was a german dish called snitzn epp or something like that.

Potatoes are one item that this household consumes a lot of. I love baked potatoes with a passion. Everytime I fire up my foundry furnace I cook a few up. The furnace will remain red hot for hours on end, so I always have a few taters wrapped in foil so I can just toss em in and let the residual heat cook em. Nothing like a hot baked potatoe with the peeling charcoaled black and some butter pepper and slat and maybe some sour cream or cheese on top. We also consume a lot of potatoes thats made into mashed potatoes or what is called beleanies, which are coarse grated potatoes, with flour, eggs and onion added and fried in a skillet like a potatoe cake until golden brown and crispy. The greasier the better and a ton of salt......

We also make some stuff whose name I forget right now, but you take whole peeled white potatoes and place them in a clean white sock, and boil them. After they get soft you swing and mash the heck out of the sock squeezing the water out as much as possible. Dump out the contents add flour and seasoning to suit, some bacon bits and form into balls about the size of a tennis ball, and toss back in boiling water, or hot cooking oil. When finished cooking and topped with gravy they are some kind of good eating. They are sort of gummy but not to the point of being like chewing gum. A good break from traditional mashed potatoes.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I built a nice potato box to grow em up in. Amazing box (similar to tire concept) will yield over 100lbs in just a few sqfeet.
Just built out of 2x2s and 2x6 for "wall sections" just put bottom layer of 4x6s on first --- fill with good soil ---- fill to top of 4x6s and then plant "cut pieces" as soon as the vines grow foot higher than soil level, then added more soil and add extra boards, etc, etc ... never cover more than 1/3 of plant each time...... then harvest time, just pop off the planks starting at the bottom, take your supply for that meal, replace board and continue. I really enjoy good red (new) potatoes..... that coupled with fresh spinach, asparagus, peppers, beans ---- YUMMY YUMMY :D

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
OK Andy you have some pictures of this box:question: Might try and and see if i can grow some taters.:D
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
MAN!!!!! you guys are making me HUNGRY!!!!!!!!:eat: :eat:

One thing I am going to try this year. I ran out of room in the garden last year before I got to them.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
We have grown potatoes by laying down 3-6" of manure then lay your potatoe seed in about 1 foot squares, cover with mulch. we used hay for mulch. Once the potatoes start coming you can go out and pull back some hay, pick off the bigger potatoes and leave the small ones to grow without disturbing the plants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts