Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People, check your wallets & make sure you have at least 2 family phone numbers in it! Preferably someone that doesn't live with you.

My father-in-law was in an MVA on his Harley Sunday. He arrived at the hospital DOA. The only phone numbers in his wallet were for 2 of his female friends (one of them was on the bike with him & unconscious at the hospital too).

If it hadn't been for a nurse at the hospital that knew Peter, & his brother Steven, it would have taken even longer for them to get in touch with our family. As it was, it took almost 4 hours before anyone in the family knew.

Just do it for the people that love you.

L8r,
Angel

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Sad

My heart goes out to you and your family Catdaddy.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Sorry to here that Catdaddy our prayers go out to you. That didn't happen in Baton Rouge did it. I know i seen on the news where a group was riding when a SUV cut them off and took down a bunch of the riders. Then the A-HOLE didn't stop just keep going.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your kind words & thoughts!

Grief can only be eased by time. My wife has taken on the task of settling her father's affairs. She's a very 'goal-oriented' person, using 'to-do' lists to get things accomplished. IMO, she's using "his" list to help her work through her grief over his loss. Her brother though, is taking it pretty hard. I'm not sure he has a 'productive' way to work through this loss.

Me, I lost a great father-in-law & a good friend, but my greatest sense of loss is for my kids. I just sucks that they'll be without their grandfather. Syd's only 2 & she's not going to really remember him after a while. Lily's 4, so she understands what happened & that her Papaw has gone to heaven. But it still doesn't make it any easier.

Jody: No, it was in Lafayette at the bad intersection of Bertrand & Eraste Landry. There are 2 witnesses (so far) who have exactly opposite stories as to who was at fault, so the Police are still 'investigating' the accident. Checking for parking lot security cam tapes, etc. Luckily my wife works for the Mayor's brother-in-law. We've talked to him & he's asked the Chief of Police to keep him informed on the status of the investigation. If Peter was at fault then so be it, but we're not just gonna give away all his assets because a half-assed investigation was done. (You know how people are so sue happy.)

Thanks again,
Angel

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Angel…

Sorry to hear of the loss of your family member.

I just hate to see motorcycle accidents because of the toll
they take on their riders. You just don’t get the same “Grace”
on a bike that you get if you’re in a car, especially if the accident
happens at relatively low speeds. I remember seeing some poor
kid going maybe 40mph (about 6 cars ahead of me) on a straight
road. A UPS truck heading in the opposite direction just made
a left right in front of the poor guy. Bam, the bike slammed
right into the side of the truck. The kid was DOA by the time
the first cop car arrived. It was the trucks fault but it didn’t
matter. If the kid was in a car, he would have surly been hurt
but he would have survived.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
very sad Catdaddy My thoughts are with you guys... good advice about phone #'s in your wallet...

very sorry for your loss..

·
Registered
499 Posts
Angel,

Sorry to hear of your loss. We'll be thinking of you and your wife and kids. It's a real tough thing to lose somebody like that. No warning and no discernable reason. With your strong faith, I know you guys will come through OK.

Motorcycles are a bad place to be when they go down. When my boys talked about getting a bike, I always told them about the guys I went to school with that had bikes. They didn't all go in accidents, but there were 18 names on the list, and the last one went when we were all about 35.

Don't get me wrong, Lots of people ride safely and never have a problem, but I like the comfort of some beams and sheet metal just in case.

If there's anything we can do, please let us know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts