Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Duc brought up the sealed battery issue; I figured I would post this since many have this problem with batteries mounted in front of the radiator on our CUT's. This is a definite DO item (at least it is with mine)with the compact tractors with the battery in front of the radiator. You may not notice it much when used for short periods. After long periods of use such as 2 - 3 hours or more is when this condition appears. Check the battery compartment for battery acid which has vaporized or leaked from the battery caps. If it emits enough it will get drawn into the radiator and wreck havok with the metals later on down the road. I checked mine again after 3.5 hrs. of cutting and the battery caps were moist. I wash it down after each use now and plan to buy an Optima battery in the future. I posted about this before but wanted to follow up. Mine does not do it near as much as it did initially (perhaps due to the level filled at the factory) It is not apparent with the naked eye at first. If you happen to be working in dusty conditions, you can see where the dust has been absorbed into the battery acid at it is VERY apparent then. It is not a matter of over charging or bad battery. John Deere has a PIP for this but my battery already has it applied and it still has the problem. Now that the weather has cooled off, I have noticed this problem does not occur except for when I run the tractor for long periods of time (i.e. 2 or more hours where the trans. oil gets good and hot). I think the heat from the trans. oil cooler is what causes the batteries to vent. I will probably intall an AGM battery this Spring. Just a heads up for the rest of you.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I second this advice as well....I havent found a battery that fits yet ( abeit I will try harder) because this problem is on mine as well. I wash it often but I want that hing out of my machine for good!!

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by bo1
Chief.. you mentioned a JD PiP on the battery problem.. just what is that?
Hi Bo! Great to see you back! :thumbsup: PIP = Product Improvement Program. The fix John Deere came up with was changing the battery caps. The dealer I work with said the PIP changed over from the one piece that fits 3 holes to individual caps. Both don't work very well and in my opinion, the best fix would be a sealed battery. So far the sealed AGM type "Optima" type batteries don't have the power to turn the starter fast enough. My fix in the mean time was to wash down the battery and surrounding areas after each use and eventually the battery level has gone down some and the problem has not appeared lately but has not hit the summer temps yet.

Here is a link to the John Deere PIP page where "supposedly" you can type in your machine serial # and it will list any PIP's that apply. I have yet to see it work correctly. John Deere may have updated it when they recently updated their website.

PIP Check

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
When I was working as a mechanic for Clark Equipment many years ago, we had a product (spray) called battery saver. When we did maintenance on the equipment we would spray this stuff on the battery to neutralize the acid. Wonder if it is still available? It was called Battery Saver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, thank you...on a high speed at the office. Didn't know that it was a problem.. makes real good sense and I'll need to look into it. I just stuck a new battery into it and beats the heck out of me what I put in. You know that I'm not going to spring for a battery after dropping a bunch of cash for a new one. I do need one in the boat and I just might change it to a sealed top. I'll look at it tonight. Mucho grasia, compadre.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Acid Vapor and Boiling off

Listening to the problem at hand And this is just a educated stab at a look from possoble over charging which heats the battery to point of acid cook off. I know little about thes small tractors buth charging systems are charging systems and if properly charging and properly maintained you will see little if any after many hours in the dirt and dust around the base of the caps.. Also look into maybe an over fill of acid, wont hurt to use the wifes turkey baster and suck some acid out.:cool:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Acid Vapor and Boiling off

Originally posted by Ernieg
Listening to the problem at hand And this is just a educated stab at a look from possoble over charging which heats the battery to point of acid cook off. I know little about thes small tractors buth charging systems are charging systems and if properly charging and properly maintained you will see little if any after many hours in the dirt and dust around the base of the caps.. Also look into maybe an over fill of acid, wont hurt to use the wifes turkey baster and suck some acid out.:cool:
I was initially thinking the same thing but the battery acid level is already low. I think the problem is that the battery sits up against the transmission oil cooler which gets VERY hot. This in turn raises the temperature of the battery acid and causes out gassing. The vapors condense and are drawn back into the radiator.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: Re: Acid Vapor and Boiling off

I think the problem is that the battery sits up against the transmission oil cooler which gets VERY hot. Well, I live in Tampa area and run a Massey 240 4wd and it runs 8 hrs with battery temp around 235 degrees and never had a problem with a battery leaking out the caps unless it over charged. My reccomedation is to take it to a mechanic you can explain the problem to and let him check it over. Think of you car battery, get vey hot under that hood....:flamedevi

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My little 4410 battery is probably much smaller than the battery in your 240 and I would imagine that due to its smaller size and mass, absorbs more heat proportionally.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Acid Vapor and Boiling off

Originally posted by Ernieg
I think the problem is that the battery sits up against the transmission oil cooler which gets VERY hot. Well, I live in Tampa area and run a Massey 240 4wd and it runs 8 hrs with battery temp around 235 degrees and never had a problem with a battery leaking out the caps unless it over charged. My reccomedation is to take it to a mechanic you can explain the problem to and let him check it over. Think of you car battery, get vey hot under that hood....:flamedevi
This has been covered and addressed by John Deere already in most cases (warranty). If effects small cuts like mine JD 4100 and larger, and appears to effect the batteries without the individual vent caps mostly. It can seep when its at rest, so it not necessarily a heat issue alone and not a fluid or overcharging issue either. Its a venting issue and its well documented one on the cause. Thats all good that you dont have the problem with your MF. Its more specific in the non- sealed maintenance free batteries that JD chose to use..

Duc

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Its more specific in the non- sealed maintenance free batteries that JD chose to use.

Thanks, its one of those problems that we have had with our JD 450 [dozer] but they installed a new alt. and it took care of it. Again thanks for the tip....

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked the output and charge up voltage of the alternator on mine and it was within specs. I already went over the potential causes with the shop tech at the dealer. That is why John Deere put out the PIP on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When my 4310 was at the dealer getting a backhoe installed I asked them about this problem. I had to get a new battery anyway (long story) so they changed the battery and then put special caps on it that are sealed with a vent hose that sticks out the bottom of the tractor. The service manager said the 790 has that style of battery, but the 790 battery won't fit in the 10 series tractors. I guess they put the caps from a 790 battery on the new one they put in my 4310. Anyway, seems like a good solution to the problem.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome back Ken! :friends: Great to see you posting! If you can find the time, some pics of the battery caps and that new hoe would be mighty interesting! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts