Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3cyl 4000su with 14.9-28 Ags in the rear. I have the opportunity to pick nearly new 18.4-16.1 turf tires and rims cheap. I have basically retired this tractor to flail mowing about 10 acres of grass and the turfs would be nice. I believe these rims/tires were from an Ford LCG tractor. I know this isn’t an ideal setup, but it gives me something to do. Outside of finding some shorter tires for the front to level things out, is there anything that I would need to do to run this setup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Make sure the bolt pattern on the rear rims is the correct.
Most of the LCG models were built on the 3000 platform and will have 8 on 6" size hubs. An SU will have 8 on 8".
You may be able to find the outer axles (knees) from an LCG to bolt onto yours to lower the front.
The spindles are about 4" shorter than yours.
If you go that route, be aware there were early and late style knees. On early style front ends the radius rod bolt to the axle center. Late style the radius rod bolts to the knee.
You can use late style knees on early axle but not the vice versa..
Blue Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Blue Vehicle

I am running LCG knees and 900-10 tires on my 3000. It dropped the front a Lot. So much that I added a cast iron oil pan from an industrial model to keep from bashing in the pan.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor

The f

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure the bolt pattern on the rear rims is the correct.
Most of the LCG models were built on the 3000 platform and will have 8 on 6" size hubs. An SU will have 8 on 8".
You may be able to find the outer axles (knees) from an LCG to bolt onto yours to lower the front.
The spindles are about 4" shorter than yours.
If you go that route, be aware there were early and late style knees. On early style front ends the radius rod bolt to the axle center. Late style the radius rod bolts to the knee.
You can use late style knees on early axle but not the vice versa.. View attachment 79406
View attachment 79405

I am running LCG knees and 900-10 tires on my 3000. It dropped the front a Lot. So much that I added a cast iron oil pan from an industrial model to keep from bashing in the pan.
View attachment 79407
The f
Great info, thanks! If I didn’t change the knees, would the smaller tire get me close to level? Also, what size rims are your fronts?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My front tires are 900-10 = 10" rims.
10 ply tires.
My "3000" is actually a 3600 but sports early 3000 tin. These tractors are modular so it is easy to swap things around. Have had it for nearly 20 years. It is built out of parts and pieces from a dozen different tractors.
It came as a gasser. I put a 4000 gas engine in it for a few years.
It had a lot of grunt then :)
Then I switched it over to a 3000 diesel engine.
Had a heavy 3400 front axle under it for a while then went to these lcg spindles.
British fenders and foot boards on it.
I ran 14" implement rims with low profile car tires on it for a few years. That dropped the front a couple of inches. Then found these 900-10s. They are wide as well as short.
It looks like a little dragster.
Have a couple other 3 cylinder Fords but this is the one they will have to pry from my cold, dead fingers.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire

:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
My front tires are 900-10 = 10" rims.
10 ply tires.
My "3000" is actually a 3600 but sports early 3000 tin. These tractors are modular so it is easy to swap things around. Have had it for nearly 20 years. It is built out of parts and pieces from a dozen different tractors.
It came as a gasser. I put a 4000 gas engine in it for a few years.
It had a lot of grunt then :)
Then I switched it over to a 3000 diesel engine.
Had a heavy 3400 front axle under it for a while then went to these lcg spindles.
British fenders and foot boards on it.
I ran 14" implement rims with low profile car tires on it for a few years. That dropped the front a couple of inches. Then found these 900-10s. They are wide as well as short.
It looks like a little dragster.
Have a couple other 3 cylinder Fords but this is the one they will have to pry from my cold, dead fingers.
View attachment 79409
View attachment 79410
:
it’s a great stance! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Rear wheel change info
Be sure to check the "center hole size" along with the "lug spacing" closely. I bought a pair to replace my weather checked 21.5 -16.1 Turf that were off a J D measuring spacing looked good but the C H was off just enough that I had to change to my rims. It's the C H that keeps the wheel centered, mine is an 84' 1910 2WD that I bought new to cut 40 acre large properties, now with a qtr yd loader and just use it for heavy lifting & playing. Fronts were BFG 50 series car tires on the stock 1910 14" rims and lasted 36 yrs and secumed to weather check.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts