changing oil in a 23 hp Kohler

Discussion in 'Simplicity' started by georgefishes, Mar 19, 2009.

1. georgefishes

georgefishes New Member

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm new to this forum. I just bought a Simplicity Prestige with a 23 hp Kohler engine. In looking it over all I could see for oil drain plugs was a allen head pipe plug along the side of the oil filter.It seems like the old oil will run all over the tractor if you take out that plug. I have two thoughts in mind. One is jacking up the side of the tractor before removing the drain plug and two is I was wondering if they make a drain plug like I had on my old 2155 Cub Cadet with a 15 hp Kohler. On that one you attached a clear piece of plastic tubing and turned the fitting a quarter turn and the oil could be directed to a drain pan. Any help will be appreciated. George

2. HYDROGUARDIAN16

HYDROGUARDIAN16 LT/GT Moderator

Feb 13, 2007
    yeah, the kohler plug was nice with the lever, but on the simplicity, you cant just take off the filter and not get oil on the motor, I would just take the oil filter off last before filling the oil with new 10w30 and after replacing the filter, fill her up with oil. Then take a rag or something and clean the majority of the oil off the motor, then take your pressure washer and spray the rest off. Dont spray wires tho.

3. charlieparrish

charlieparrish New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Look on opsite side of engine (opsite of oil filter) and tghere should be a flexible tube coming from bottom of engine. It will probably be tucked to frame at rear of engine. Just pull it out and there will be a drain plug on end.

4. tcwright

tcwright New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I agree with the previous post suggesting removal of the filter after draining the oil. Prior to removing the filter place a small plastic bag under the filter and snug it up against the engine in order that the oil, which should be a small amount, will drip into the bag and not onto the frame as the filter is removed.

Tom

5. HYDROGUARDIAN16

Feb 13, 2007
    I sometimes use cardboard

6. georgefishes

georgefishes New Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Charlie parrish is right on. The tube was pushed up behind the engine . It makes changing oil a snap. Thanks Georgefishes

7. HYDROGUARDIAN16

Feb 13, 2007
    never thought of that, you see my simplicity has a briggs. the tube comes in a bag.