Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, finally...my first post. I've been reading from this forum since March. I tried to gather as much info about my first tractor and decided on the Cub Cadet 2186.

After 25 hours, I have no complaints yet. Actually learning how to service it myself too! Didn't screw anything up...yet. Also got a cart & bagger (don't care for the bagger much) but here is my question...

I can't stand - not being able to mow in reverse. I've searched the archives and only found how to disconnect another CC model.
How do I disconnect the automatic shut-off when backing up on the 2186?

Thank you all in advance. Great site!

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Welcome cohiba_33:friends:

From what i remember you follow the rod from the peddle to the back. There should be a spring at the end with a leaver and a push button switch. Push the leaver it back and turn in down away from the switch. Thats about all i remember.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
On the opposite foot board is where you find the switch that Jody mentioned.Follow the linkage across there you will find a plunger switch under the foot board.There is a metal finger that contacts the switch when you bach up.There is a spring attached to the metal finger.If you remove the spring the finger drops down and will not contact the switch.Then you can back up with out this problem.

You could also leave the spring attached and use a plastic tie strap to tie the finger down so that it will not contact the plunger switch.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
There you go johndeere knows he has done it i was trying to remember how i read it before. I have a 1525 and it done different then the 2166 and 2186.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.... It worked. It's right where Johndeere said it would be. I tied it down instead of removing the spring.

Thanks again!

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Glad it work theres nothing more aggravating when you can mow in reverse.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've watched this thread and just have to add something.......

The manufacturer is setting up the machine to shutoff the blades in reverse for a very valid reason. I,for one , have a liberterian view that less government in our lives is better............but in this case,for our industry, it is regulate yourselves or be regulated by government and ruined by the ambulance chasing lawyers in this country.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like being protected from myself any more than any of you. But its a fact that when a riding mower accident happens........its violent, traumatic and often fatal, and DOES nOT happen to the operator....leaving the person it happened to believing (with help from attorneys) it wasn't your fault when it very often is. I offer this link as a resource of what is lurking for the manufacturers in the legal world. Notice in the headline 'Its not your fault",implying that the safe operation of a riding mower is somehow NOT the responsibilty of the person controling it.

But the fact remains that it is his responsibility.........and you fellow forum members have just done something that I have steadfastly refused to do. Modify a machine and putting all that I have worked for at risk. I simply won't do it.

As is often the case, legal realities affect the products we love because some REALLY stupid people do things like this or even worse this. You have to question the wisdom of operating a mower with all those kids around or allowing an 8 year old to run a rider. But it happens everyday and every year with more riders being sold.

I'm not criticizing you ........just wanting you to pause and think. Maybe just changing my mowing habits a little , moving a bush, or leaving an area to comeback and cut with a trimmer or handmower will make my yard a safer pace for my spouse and others.
Thanks for listening

·
Registered
241 Posts
Neil,
You're kinda "on the other side". I mean, you're in business and you have to protect yourself just like the manufacturers. In the last business I owned, El Paso Speedway Park, I was "served" seven(7) times! And, ended up in court 4 times. I won every time(due to my insurance company, and their Philadelphia lawyers). The last lawsuit that we won, the insurance company sued back! They demanded that they be paid all their expenses. They won by summary judgement! Liens were placed on the complainant's properties, and it ruined his credit. But, I actually "lost" because it soured me so much( that people now have such a "lotto" mentality), I ended up selling everything several years later.
I don't blame the tractor manufacturers for implementing all the safety devices. But, I'm really happy they make it easy for me to disable the safety switches. Here's how I figure it, if I hurt someone due my negligence, I should be held accountable, pure and simple. But meanwhile, I'll enjoy life to the fullest by not having to put up with the safety switch nonsense. The double standard works for me just fine. I will NOT post any instructions on disabling these switches. I don't want to share responsiblility for someone else's negligence......just mine.
Of course, someone will say, but what if.............. And, that's OK 'cause I ain't going to respond.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A wise man I worked for over 16 years once said..............."There are no winners in a court room...."

I've been in them before,nothing serious,but enough I don't like the it..............and like the Allstate commercial says.........the defendants chair is a lonely place.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Thanks Neil! Good post. I still have all the safety devices on my old tractors, because I just felt they were there to save me from hurting myself. Mine are old enough that I can mow in reverse, but if and when the time comes, I'll learn the new stuff. I wear my safety glasses, my hearing protection, gloves, no loose clothing, etc. I remember when ROPS was first coming out and folks didn't like that, and the end of manufacturing tricycle front ends on tractors and folks didn't like that, and the introducton of seat belts in cars and folks didn't like that either. I don't look at it so much as a government intrusion in my life as I do an improvement to make the product safer for me to use. I've seen old circular saws with no guards, electric fans with a wire cage around the blades with openings big enough to stick THREE fingers through, and I'm glad stuff got better.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I see both sides. One of the first things I did when I got my tractor was disable the mow in reverse thing. Alot of my yard is tight manuvering, and I actually changed the landscape in a few places to make it easier to mow (moved planting areas and replaced with grass, removed 2 small trees in tight areas, etc.)

But even now, I cant imagine disengaging the deck every time I want to back up. It would surely help sales of belts and PTO switches!

As a few of you would remember, I broke the parking brake lever. Alot of people would have just removed the seat wire so they could leave it running, rather than worry about the brake. Even though my whole yard is flat, I will not go as far as removing the wire on the seat. About the only reason I would have to get off the tractor is to make a pit stop. I will shut it off, and in fact would never leave it running, unattended, especially while inside the house.

I also never cut the grass while people are present. Just a couple weeks ago, Jane sent the kids outside with popsicles. First thing they did was take off through the yard toward me. I shut the deck off, shut the tractor off, and had a heart to heart with 'em. They now know to stay clear, even when i'm using the push mower.

Oh, and Jody...neat avatar!

Greg

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Just something else to keep in mind, people may think that when they modify the machine, only they will be held accountable. This might not be true. The manufacturer and the selling dealer could be involved as well as anyone else who has serviced the equipment which causes injury or death. It seems easy enough and harmless enough to disable a safety switch but when people continue to be injured the gov't will step in like Neil said and then it will be designed so there isn't any easy way around it. Not to mention the possibility of some ambulance chaser lawyer tracking down someone off the internet who told "the poor unfortunate first time tractor owner" that he should disconnect it.
We all think we are a little smarter and more mechanical than the average joe, but over the years I've come to realize that the guys I meet who have scars and missing parts of their fingers, etc are pretty much like the rest of us except for "that one time"
Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Originally posted by sixchows
Just something else to keep in mind, people may think that when they modify the machine, only they will be held accountable. This might not be true. The manufacturer and the selling dealer could be involved as well as anyone else who has serviced the equipment which causes injury or death. It seems easy enough and harmless enough to disable a safety switch but when people continue to be injured the gov't will step in like Neil said and then it will be designed so there isn't any easy way around it. Not to mention the possibility of some ambulance chaser lawyer tracking down someone off the internet who told "the poor unfortunate first time tractor owner" that he should disconnect it.
We all think we are a little smarter and more mechanical than the average joe, but over the years I've come to realize that the guys I meet who have scars and missing parts of their fingers, etc are pretty much like the rest of us except for "that one time"
Just something to keep in mind.
Hear hear Sixchows.........well said ! :cheers:

btw........any machine comes to our shop will be brought BACK to original factory configuration on safety switch circuits. no ifs,ands or buts.

Oh and Fusion,you did the right thing....when I dredged up the stories on recent mower accidents...........one was a young boy sitting on the porch just WATCHING his Dad mow the grass with his rider......when he was hit and killed by a thrown object. Call it fate or whatever..........I couldn't calculate the odds....................but it happened.

my apologies.....didn't mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Good Posts Neil, Sixchows, and Willie,

I've been laughed at many times over safety issues, but you only have seven fingers, and only one grandson Jody. Even if there are fifteen more of them somewhere you'll still miss the one who's gone.

My husqvarna has no backup kill switch, and I wish it did. It's way too easy to back up without looking. I try very hard to be conscious of what I'm doing, but I'm as lazy as the next guy, and it's really easy to pick up bad habits. The devices are there to stop us from doing stupid things, but also to get us into good habits.

Also, the next time this comes up, I don't want to be the one posting "Don't do it! I killed my grandson doing that!"

We've got a big funeral here in the village on Monday for a family who lost their 28 yr old son last Monday. You see the family and friends and know it changed their life in an instant. Fellow was landing his F-18A at Beaufort, SC when the wheels came off. Literally as well as figuratively.

Makes you stop and thank the big guy for the good luck you've had! Doesn't make me want to take any extra chances.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Im all for saftey and believe in the seat switch and the chute deflector and the brake switch.But the back up switch found on a John Deere I can live with I do and will not bypass it and will not tell someone how to bypass it.However the way my Cub Cadet and all the others are is ridiculous.It is a way to sell electric clutches.The way the Deere is the switch needs to be on the rear hitch to truely be affective however.

Cub Cadet and John Deere could care less if there is an accident.Its not like there wanting there customers to be safe so they can be a repeat customer.Or there dealer told them how nice Joe Blow is and they sure want him safe because he is such a nice guy.The real reason is MONEY and that is it.There afraid they might get Sued.I can understand that but all the it is a major saftey concern because a kid can get killed or what ever.Just how often does this happen?I know one time is to often.But just how many people have come forward and said.The RIO saved little Joey or Susies life because with out it he would have been run over.Or after my Cub Cadet blades disengaged while backing up.Little Ricky was still killed after being ran over.But atleast we were able to show his body at the funeral.

Anyone who lets there kids or pets around a lawn mower or lets a child out side while mowing.Should be casterated to avoid more stupid people in the future.

I can understand your being a dealer you must be careful and go by the book.But you should go out and demonstrate this no backing up mowing proceder.I bet if you did and the customer seen it.They would say sorry but I will buy a Craftsman.Besides if Cub Cadet did not want you to unhook it.They would make it hard to bypass.The day they do they might as well go out of business.Most lawns have atleast one area where you must backup.I have area that are very tight spot around grain bins and buildings bordering a farm field when I get in these area I must back out no way to turn around.No way im going to shut the blades off and back up several times to mow these areas.I can pull a switch on the Deere but not the Cub.I bet the guy who thought Cubs system up has never ran a mower or even did a days work that included sweat and dirt under his nails.Perhaps you would rather I say you should have bought a Craftsman.Or do not buy a Cub because you can not back up with the blades going.Perhaps if you get through to all of us bad guys telling how to bypass this stupid set up.No one will buy a Cub Cadet and you can go out of business right a long with them.Becareful what you wish for it might Bite you on the A$$

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
While were on the topic.Why dont we have governors on are cars so they will not go past a set speed limit to save lives?Why because very few pay attention to a speed limit.There willing to get killed and get someone killed to be in a hurry.Why do we not have this saftey feauture.Because the lawyers have not figured out how to line there pockets on a car crash where the driver was speeding.Im surprised some Nit Wit has not sued saying the car was so fast I did not realise I was speeding.It should not go faster then the limit.Why dont all these saftey NUTs slow down out there.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
As far as cars go, most speedometers show a lower top speed than the older cars. During the late 70's early 80's most showed a top speed of 80mph on the dash as opposed to the older muscle cars showing 140-160mph.
Many newer computer controlled vehicles have rev limiters. Yes you can still speed but when you reach a certain point the engine feels like it's about to cut off. You can be sure that if those in power weren't profiting from the price of gas we would already have something stopping you from going more than 80mph.
It's interesting how the downsized vehicles from 1977 are creeping back up in size and hp as gas continues to climb.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
My point was we would save more lives if they were governed at say 65 tops.Then putting a stuipid no reverse mow device on a lawn mower.We would save thousands of lives rather then a few that will be just as dead just not shopped up in pieces.

While were at it how about a device where you car will not move if your talking on a cell phone?Or will not start unless your seat belts is not fastened.Why because that would be an incovinence.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yeah but 65 would be too slow for passing especially on roads where the limit has been raised from 55mph.
As for the seat belt thing there were cars like that back in the 80's I think VW/ Audi. Some cars even have the automatic belts.
Regulations will be put anywhere they feel they are necessary rather than where it will save more lives. Remember 3wheel ATV's banned by consumer product safety commission because everyone was doing jumps on ones not equipped with rear suspension and were collapsing their spines?
My only point in my respsonse about the mow in reverse was that "we" all of us who offer advice need to keep in mind that it is possible for someone to track us down in the event of a tragedy although it seems unlikely. Maybe even hold TF liable for providing the info. Remember some people think tragedy=lotto. Let those who want to endanger themselves figure it out on their own without becoming a party to it that's all. Is is ridiculous to only have it on some and not all tractors of course it is. Could we all pay closer attention, yes but unfortunately accidents happen and if the device was on the tractor in question and was intentionally disabled you can be sure someone somewhere will make an issue out of it. We all like to think we are friends helping friends but when tragedy strikes all bets are off.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I remember one morning listening to Charles Osgood on
the radio. He was saying when he was a kid, the expression
adults would use to describe themselves hitting it rich was
“When my ship comes in” Today he said that expression
has changed to “When my case comes up”

It’s like sixchows said, to some people tragedy = lotto.
Seems like nobody has to take responsibility for themselves
anymore. People no longer simply trip and fall, they only
fall due to someone’s negligence.

Since my company is a manufacturer, I often read through
product liability decisions. My favorite involved 2 guys who
were using a rotary push mower to cut a privet hedge. They
stood with the hedge between them, each holding one side of
the mower by the wheels and started to cut the top of the hedge.
Of course the mower twisted out of their hands and cut one guys
hand off at the wrist. The mower manufacturer lost the case and
the guy was awarded $17 million dollars. The decision was
based on the fact that no where on the box, mower or manual,
did it state that the mower should ONLY be used for cutting grass
and that it was not unreasonable to assume it could also be used for
cutting other things.

What I find fascinating about the case is not that there could be
someone stupid enough to try cutting a hedge with a rotary mower
but the fact that he was able to get his neighbor to hold up the other
half of the mower.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts