Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These tractors are part of a collection that is located in Mott North Dakota. I had heard he had a few but was surprised when I seen them all. He puts them all in sheds for the winter. I posted pictures on the MM and Oliver board also. Hope you all enjoy te pictures.
caseman-d

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/casemand2002/album?.dir=/4e78

:spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile :tractorsm

In the picture below is a Case 600 which at the time was the largest Case tractor(1957) and the smaller one is a Case S which is one of Case's smaller tractors without going to the VA series.
 

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
Joined
·
5,317 Posts
Well he must have big A$$ shed to put all those and all the others.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by jodyand
Well he must have big A$$ shed to put all those and all the others.
Nearest I could tell he had two big quansits he put them in.
caseman-d
I looked in the dictionary for the word quansit, meaning a type of building but was unable to find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,310 Posts
Quonset:

A trademark used for a prefabricated portable hut having a semicircular roof of corrugated metal that curves down to form walls. This trademark often occurs in attributive contexts in print: "a Quonset building that once stored grain"

Ryan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
Quonset:

A trademark used for a prefabricated portable hut having a semicircular roof of corrugated metal that curves down to form walls. This trademark often occurs in attributive contexts in print: "a Quonset building that once stored grain"

Ryan
Thanks Ryan,
I looked again and it's not in my Merriam-Webster dictionary but it's in my Webster's New America dictionary.
caseman-d
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
Lol how did they figure on naming a barn a quonset?
Ryan
Ryan, I don't know but I sure wouldn't mind having a couple of them.:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
caseman-d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Quonset Huts

Quonset Huts - Those are the ones that look like a Dolly Parton in profile but are long instead of rounded. I think they were named for the Quonset Indian Tribe - Virginia, maybe? who lived in longhouses shaped much like that.

You can see them at any old airbase, or nowadays there are guys who make them out of the same style of steel as culverts - steel panels about 18" wide, bolted to theor neighbour. There was a thread on here for cheap steel buildings a few weeks ago where a guy was selling them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Quonset Huts

Originally posted by balmoralboy
Quonset Huts - Those are the ones that look like a Dolly Parton in profile but are long instead of rounded. I think they were named for the Quonset Indian Tribe - Virginia, maybe? who lived in longhouses shaped much like that.

You can see them at any old airbase, or nowadays there are guys who make them out of the same style of steel as culverts - steel panels about 18" wide, bolted to theor neighbour. There was a thread on here for cheap steel buildings a few weeks ago where a guy was selling them.
balmoralboy,
Hmmmmm, never even thought of Dolly:) :) . Thanks for the information.
caseman-d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Dolly

That's what we call the buildings the Highways Dept uses for storing salt. They're all roof, just a roof made to fit a pile of salt.

The usual reference is " turn left at the first road past the Dolly Partons"

Never known anyone to miss the corner!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Dolly

Originally posted by balmoralboy
That's what we call the buildings the Highways Dept uses for storing salt. They're all roof, just a roof made to fit a pile of salt.

The usual reference is " turn left at the first road past the Dolly Partons"

Never known anyone to miss the corner!
I see lots of quonsets in my travels in ND and Canada. There are some in SD but not many that I have noticed. Well I least I'll know what people are talking about when they say turn at the dool partons, lol
caseman-d
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top