Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 Case IH with no reverse but forward pulls fine and the PTO will not ingauge I've changed hydraulic fluid filter and o-rings in the MCV and still there's no change it's a little smoother faster that's all thank you in advance

·
377 Posts
I believe that tractor still has the common 4 speed transmission with a High, Low and Reverse range box.
It may have a TA but not many did.
If it pulls forward in all 4 gears in both high and low range and the appropriate speeds in each gear I would first look at the
shift link for the range box carefully especially for a sheared pin or missing pin. If the externals are good you will have to go into the range transmission.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LouNY. Thank you I just try to take it out for a drive and it does not pull like it's supposed to in all four gears of pools but if you give it a lot of RPMs it like slips if you let off of it it catches it seems like then it will go reverse nothing it starts to pull and it roll a couple inches and stop and PTO will not engage

·
377 Posts
That sounds more like a clutch, time for a split.
the pto may not be related as it has it's own clutch pack, unless the center of the clutch is stripped or broken.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you . I was hoping for a easy fix. I got underneath it and looked in the inspection plate at the dry clutch looks good in there but it does not look like there's any adjustment. is there? Am I missing something or do they not adjust only on the pedal???

·
377 Posts
Some pressure plates will have adjustable fingers, but not all.
If someone pushes the pedal while you are observing do you see the pressure plate release the disc,
then tighten it up when released.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I have a question. If the dry clutch," transmission" is bad/ wore were it's slipping. & As of now forward and Reverse won't pull, release the clutch pedal that's all the way on top now it tries to pull, moves maybe inch or 2 than does nothing. Ok question is will that also have effect on PTO ? Because PTO doesn't engage. Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PTO doesn't engage, now Ford and reverse and put it in low first it feels like it wants to start pulling into and stops you put in high side it's nothing like it's slipping don't make no noise just don't move

·
1,171 Posts
The two problems are not related. The PTO issue is one thing, the clutch issue is another.

The clutch adjustment is external, and if you're convinced the pedal does have free play, then the solution will require a split.

The PTO would require more troubleshooting. Checking the pressure to the clutch pack might help. There is a test port somewhere, probably on the MCV valve, I'm not sure exactly where. You would need to round up some fittings and a gauge, probably 400 or 600 PSI range. On its best day the pressure to the PTO wouldn't exceed that. It should probably be 150 to 200. The spec is available if you care to go that route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've thought about getting a flow meter there's a tube that comes off the MCV that goes in for the PTO clutch and I had taken it all the way off and started the tractor and don't get nothing out of it so I was going to check the pressure through the line for the power steering to see what it said. Or what would you suggest

·
1,171 Posts
No need for a flow meter. You already know there is no flow. Therefor no pressure and no PTO. You're back to the valve. Something haywire in there. Steering and PTO operate at different pressures, so that won't tell you much.

·
377 Posts
I don't recall excatly how the 74 series drives the hydraulics and pto the most common way was a drive hub in the flywheel powering a shaft which runs thru and inside of the transmission main shaft, once it is in the internals of the transmission case it will drive the hydraulic pump and provide an input drive for the pto. They use a hydraulically operated clutch for pto operation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts