Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks I need help on this one. I've found this old Case NCM baler, serial number 5359063. It has a V 4 cylinder Wisconsin engine on it. I would like to make a fair offer for this but have no idea what it may be worth. Would enjoy hearing your comments on this.
Thanks
caseman-d

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/casemand2002/album?.dir=/274e
<http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f6fb041_3d18/bc/274e/__sr_/639f.jpg?phedEoABQ.2Exf8m>
:spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile :tractorsm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
What is the running condition of this baler? Has it been up for last 60 years? Was "it running last time I used it" --- (refer to Chief's chart for this ole' line) --- It is a truly interesting item. I -will- own
a Dearborn/Wood Bros Square Baler one day to go with my 8N.
I have always been really into these items for some reason. I think these units were from the mid 1940s (1944-45) and I believe some of the NCMs were hand-tie and the NCM-T were sold with knotters. Check the pickup, plunger and needles for damage and significant wear. The problem with these is the parts availability. If the pickup mechanism is bad and the engine is non-running. I wouldn't give hardly anything --- as no one else is going to line up and buy it. If it was running and working, maybe get $300-500 --> max. for it in -restored- condition. From the looks of the pics, it is going to need some work to back into "running shape" (if that is what you intend to do with it) ---
:D

These balers were popular and while there are parts manuals and books available on em --- parts are limited. In fact, I have seen people just offer others to "take em away" for free simply b/c they have no real value and they are just occuping good space and making an eye sore on the property. What is it worth to you and what are your intentions with it? If just a piece of history to display I wouldn't give em more than $100 for it --- if it really means something to you than you might be in it for much more $ ----
:siren:

Personally, I think he will take close to nothing to get rid of it and
have it hauled away. Ask him what he believes this old non-running machine with no parts availability that has been rusting away in his front lawn for last 60 years is probably worth? I would not even consider going above $200-300 unless you are
really going batty over it. :kookoo:

Try to get em to realize your situation and the true value of this
oxidized lawn ornament. I say $100 is fair and his help winching
this item onto your trailer. :D

YMMV.
:friends:

·
Registered
977 Posts
if you could find a weight for it try making an offer as to what it would be worth if he sold it for scrap iron. i have had pretty good luck with that method although you do run the odd guy that thinks scrap is worth a fortune. my reply to them is where are they paying that kind of money i have some i need to get rid of after wich you can usually end up with a fair price. good luck

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by memmurphy
That would make for an interesting project. I never saw one like that before.

Mark
:tractorsm
It's a first for me to. Other than tires it looks fairly complete. Big wrist pin that runs the plunger looks like very little wear. I'ts ainteresting piece.:) :)
caseman-d

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try to get em to realize your situation and the true value of this
oxidized lawn ornament. I say $100 is fair and his help winching
this item onto your trailer

Andy,
I was thinking under a 100.00. As excited as I am about getting it , it will still require some work getting it to work. I mainly would like to get it running enough to pull in a parade. Thanks for the response Andy.
caseman-d

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by bear
if you could find a weight for it try making an offer as to what it would be worth if he sold it for scrap iron. i have had pretty good luck with that method although you do run the odd guy that thinks scrap is worth a fortune. my reply to them is where are they paying that kind of money i have some i need to get rid of after wich you can usually end up with a fair price. good luck
Bear,
I've asked the guy a few times what he thought it may be worth and he said whatever I thought it might be worth. Well I told him I would try to find out. I offered him 50.00 and he he didn;t say yes or no. So I will see if he will take it. Like I said before I would like it just forr a parade once a year.
caseman-d

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by bear
it is nice to have something that goes with your tractors
I bought an old 3 bottom plow P&O plow to pull in parades but just thought a Case baler would be so much nicer:) :) :) :)
caseman-d

:spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile :tractorsm

·
91 Posts
Caseman
Ifin you get it, I don't know if you have any experience with those V4's but be very careful cranking that thing they have to be the nastiest thing in the world for kicking back. We had one on a J D wire tie baler and it hurt just about everyone that ever touched it.
Archie:canada:

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by archyb2
Caseman
Ifin you get it, I don't know if you have any experience with those V4's but be very careful cranking that thing they have to be the nastiest thing in the world for kicking back. We had one on a J D wire tie baler and it hurt just about everyone that ever touched it.
Archie,
Thanks for the advise, I was just thinking how one cranks it, I will have to see if there is a crank for it. I see your from Canada, what part are you in? I will be going to MB and SK at the end of the month.
caseman-d

·
91 Posts
Caseman
I'm in southern Ontario-- Hamilton actually The crank for that is very short aprox a 6" throw, we only ever pulled up on the crank never try to spin it

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I think I would be looking at a way to add an electric starter to that contraption. I would NOT want to hand crank that beast. Good way to break an arm or worse. Looks like an interesting project. So are you the proud owner Caseman?

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Chief
I think I would be looking at a way to add an electric starter to that contraption. I would NOT want to hand crank that beast. Good way to break an arm or worse. Looks like an interesting project. So are you the proud owner Caseman?
Chief,
Electric starter would be nice, but then I would have to put a alternator or generator on it to keep the battery charged :) :) :)

It's not looking good, guess I showed to much intrest in it.:cry: :cry: :cry: . I finally got him to name a price and it's way higher than what he led on to what he wanted for it. I'm not saying the deal fell through, it's just that I don't want it bad enough to pay his price. I am thinking of making a counter offer and see what he says. I will keep you all informed.
caseman-d

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I was thinking about a quick disconnect for a battery so you could just hook up the battery for the start and disconnect it and put it back in the shop. Charge it with a battery charger.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Chief
I was thinking about a quick disconnect for a battery so you could just hook up the battery for the start and disconnect it and put it back in the shop. Charge it with a battery charger.
No more than what it would be used that would be the best way. Thats the nice thing about mags you can use a battery all summer if thats all you use the battery for. I some times use jumper cable to start thingd with.
caseman-d

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought the baler, I'm trying to find tires for it so I can haul it home. It's only 10 miles from home so I could pull it home if I needed to. Will provide more info once I get it home. Looks like it might take more to get it running than first thought.
caseman-d

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by admin
So how much extra did the interest cost you on this one? :D :D

Good luck with it! I love balers!

;)
Andy,
It cost me 75.00 and I have to find him a piece of horse drawn equipment. I'm sure I can find something cheap :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
caseman-d

1 - 20 of 48 Posts