1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

case 830 gas, case o matic

Discussion in 'Case / Farmall - International Harvester' started by fletcher.419, Feb 24, 2010.

1. fletcher.419

fletcher.419 New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    I recently purchased this tractor with the following problems,

#1 - The range gear lever will not pull down into low
    #2 - When the lever is in the start position the tranmission is in low.
    #3 - When you put the range lever in high, let clutch out and pressure goes to green, it acts like i am slipping converter by locking it up with the brakes, any idea's? bent shifter fork or bent range lever?

2. fletcher.419

fletcher.419 New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    re; 830 transmission problem

it appears that i probably have a range gear seized on a shaft, any ideas before the destruction begins?

3. chrpmaster

chrpmaster New Member

May 5, 2004
    Welcome to the Tractor Forum Fletcher!

Not sure about that model but I was wondering where you lived and if maybe it might loosen up as the weather warmed a bit. I am guessing you have already checked the fluid levels.

Sorry I'm not more help but one of the other experts around here should jump in soon.

4. caseman-d

caseman-d Lifetime Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Like most caseomatics I been around sounds like the convertor may be bad. Another option is what type of oil are you running in it. What happens when you put into direct, will it take ahold.? The higher the gear the more rpms needed to get tractor rolling. As far as the high to start to low it may be just out of adjustment, you can go into cnh.com and get a parts picture of the linkage assembly. Hope this will help.
    caseman-d

5. fletcher.419

fletcher.419 New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    830 transmission problem

Thanks for the replies, this what i found out when i removed the transmission cover. The sliding range shaft coupler was fine but would not go over the high range shaft because, the gear appeared to be missaligned by a 1/16". According to caseihparts on some years this gear was held in position by a 5/16 roll pin or a set screw. But other than that converter pressure is good, derect drive as well as caseomatic works excellent in all gears except it wont engage high range gear.

6. fletcher.419

fletcher.419 New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Just as a update for other users having the same trouble as mine, removed transmission cover and adjusted linkage to proper location - fixed problems. Thx caseman for the sugestion.