Votes: 5 31.3%
  • truck

Votes: 11 68.8%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had to add some more fill in the shed had to pull my baby out it been a while since its moved. had a guy getting some massey parts asked if it was a car or truck reminded me of the big debate when i used to drive it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
bear

From the color, I'd say it's a '76 el camino ss. I'd also say "car" although they do handle like a pick up, very light in the rear.

Seems it deserves a better fate than sitting outside like that. What are your plans for it?

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well i said truck but its really both to me. I always liked the El Camino and i hate to see it sitting out there:cry: it should be sitting in my carport:D

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
With only a front seat, and an open cargo area in the rear, I say it is a truck, although a very light duty one. Payload, including passengers was around 1000 pounds? I remember the farm I worked on as a kid had a Ford Ranchero, and the farm owner (retired rich guy who farmed as a hobby) thought he would load the back with freshly harvested oats from the field, as the big truck was already full. The tires rubbed in the wheel wells, and it drug the tailpipe in the dirt when he tried to drive it. I and the other kid that worked there had to shovel 3/4 of the grain back out on to a wagon so he could move the Ranchero. Not a real useful farm truck, but sure was a good looking vehicle.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I would definitely go with truck but it is actually a car body and chasis more or less a station wagon with the back cut off. Real handy and sharp looking vehicles. Bear, the body sure does looke to be in real nice shape for such and older model El Camino. Is she a project waiting her turn in line:question:

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I voted truck. I always had to pay for truck tags on my 83. It would get a little light in the front when I stacked 1/2 ton firewood front to back on it. Even with the airshocks pumped up it would squat down pretty good with a full load. Other than being being lousy to drive in the snow unless you loaded it or used chains, I really liked it. I always heard the car or truck question too.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
To me its a car as the frame and undercarraige sure is not anything like what a truck would have, and my 74 El Camino Classic was only rated for 800# load in the bed.......Nice to drive, not worth a flip to haul anything in......other than perhaps a cooler filled with cold beer:D

I had two 74' El Caminos. The first one had less than 400 miles on it and got totaled out the day after I bought it. Was heading to Alabama from Pennsylvania, down I-81......got to Tennesee and the infamous route 11, often refered to as bloody route 11. The 4 lane interstate abruptly ended, and you wound up on a 2 lane road until you got close to Kingsport, TN, then it opened back up to a 4 lane road with cut throughs and such in and around the town. A 13 year old girl was trying to out run a TN State Trooper, ran the stop sign at the crossing of Rt 11 and T-boned me with a Plymouth Fury. Her mother was setting along side of her too......go figure.....Put the el camino on its side and then it went over on its roof and slid up into a Cadillac / Chevy dealer display lot and came to stop in front of.........yep, an El Camino just like I was in, right down to the same color except it had bucket seats instead of bench........I left the next moring in another brand new 74 El Camino Classic...............State Farm Insurance was pretty darn good back then, and there was no injuries that amount to anything other than bruises and nicks. LUCKY!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I voted truck too. My Rabbit diesel pickup is a similarly bastardized vehicle, but it can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood, landscaping pavers & can tow a small car. So, truck it is.

-=A=-

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its actually a 76 gmc sprint sp same as el camino ss. the stripes should say sp body shop put on the ss stripes in 87 when i had it painted. i am 3rd owner of it and have had it since i was 14 it was sold right in town when there was still a gm dealer. through the years it has had a lot changed all when i had it and i have spent the last couple years gathering up all the parts to put it back in original condition so all the #'s match. i got copies of the order original order and build sheets from gm canada alomg with production figures it says there were 430 sprints imported from u.s for sale in canada 133 with the sp option package (ye7).
it was only outside temporarily so no need to worry sixchows. thanks for the offer of using your carport for storage jody but i think it may be a little far to haul it. it would be good for a visit whenever i got down there to work on it. it kind of an ongoing project cheif i've got an original drivetrain now 400 smallblock th-350 and 10 bolt 2.73 rear end. will rebuild all these peices before it comes back into the shop to have them installed.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
The sprints are a real rere car[ok car/truck:D ] DEFENTLY worth holding on to. Nice project you got there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts