Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i took my car to work tonight and i noticed the oil pressure gauge is down around 20-30 instead of where it usually stays around 40-50.
when i stop at a light, the car feels like its gonna stall out and the pressure gauge drops right down to 0.

It gets close to 0 and i put the car in neutral and rev the motor a bit and it goes back up to about 15-20

Is there an oil pump or something that i need to check?

Im about 25 miles from home and hope it will get me back...

I checked the oil, i was a little low.. i added oil but its still doing this..

is this going to seize my motor? and should i rev the motor in neutral to prevent it from going to 0.

Im no mechanic, but 0 oil pressure does not sound healthy to a car..

not sure if i should try to make it home or call AAA...

any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW: it did get me to work (25 miles) .. so i am thinking it will get me home.........

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Your oil pump maybe going out but its not something you can just check without putting another gage on it. I think you may want to call a wrecker and have it towed to a shop. The oil pan will have to come off to change the oil pump and hopefully you didn't do to much damage to the motor.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Sounds to me like something is a foul. Does the engine make any metalic tapping or knocking noises? Or is this a steady but low pressure that significantly lowers at idle? What grade (viscosity oil are you running in it now? If the oil pump is going south on you; you can get by with adding some 20W-50 oil or SAE 40 if you are not already doing this. This trick may work while it is warm but you will have to have the problem fixed. Best to put a known accurate guage on the engine as Jody mentioned.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just went through this same thing this winter with my truck. It had the exact same symptoms as you described. I put my test gauge on it and confirmed the low oil pressure. I then replaced the pump. While I was in there I checked for loose bearings and found nothing wrong. Started it up with the new pump and let it warm up. It looked great so I started my 20 mile drive home from work. By the time I got home, I was back to 5psi at idle and could hear a faint knock. I drove it back to work the next day and pulled the engine after work. It had three loose rods this time. Ordered a new long block through the shop and installed it three days later. Once again I lost oil pressure, with a brand new long block and another new pump. I put my gauge back on it and found that the sender for my electric gauge went bad. Kind of a strange coincidence. I was mostly upset that it didn't see 200,000 miles with the original engine. It died just over 197,000.

None of that really matters here I guess. What I'm really trying to say is don't drive it! Verify your oil pressure, and go from there. If it's just the oil pump, you still may be able to save your engine.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the oil pressure dropped as i idled the car..
i was gonna get a tow home but my AAA card had expired... (nice suprise) so instead of paying for a tow for 26 miles I limped the car home.. i had to put it in neutral and idle it a bit when i came to a stop...

it got me home ansd is going to the shop tomorrow.. gotta love the car.. 213,000 mmiles and it keeps on going..

PS. no wrapping or ticking noise at all..

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Sounds like it is time for an engine rebuild and/or replacement...
How bout changing over to a nice 383 stroker? :) Best of luck to you friend owl.

-Andy
Bye

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
Well the oil pressure dropped as i idled the car..
i was gonna get a tow home but my AAA card had expired... (nice suprise) so instead of paying for a tow for 26 miles I limped the car home.. i had to put it in neutral and idle it a bit when i came to a stop...

it got me home ansd is going to the shop tomorrow.. gotta love the car.. 213,000 mmiles and it keeps on going..

PS. no wrapping or ticking noise at all..
is it your F-bird that you had problems with it over heating

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
dam it's all ways the pontiac's how about some pics of it what year is it ?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still sitting in my driveway
im assuming its the oil pump.. plus i need to get the brakes fixed (that i broke)
I am having my truck done this weekend then the chicken is next... no $$$ lately... its all pouring into that big box in my driveway....:furious:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
You could always try some Kendall SAE 70 or some good ole' Walmart Supertech 20W-50. Might hold you over until you can get the money to fix the pump. army :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :spinsmile :tractorsm

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rod 1990. 213 K or 214,000 miles

Chief.. I have not even told my mechanic about the oil pump.. he's very reasonable and i do trust him..
i looked on line and the prices were only 50-75$ for the pump (part) not sure about labor.. but he has never soaked me before.. problem is.. he's wicked busy so i end up leaving the car for about a week and he gets to it when he can...
good guy.. fair prices..
and he will enjoy mocking me for breaking the bolts on the brakes..

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I would not be surpised that in the end you find out its the bearings........

I had an old beater car (1949 Merc Coupe, V-8 flathead) as a teen that I used to run a quart of straight 50wt oil to 4 quarts of 90wt gear oil in just to give it sufficient compression to run. Used to turn the radio up all the way to drown out the bearing and rod knocks, and got many miles out of it doing typical teenager stuff. Also used to put a box of black pepper in the radiator to help seal up the crack in the block, as well as oatmeal from time to time.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
You never tried the raw egg trick Chipper? :furious: :lmao: :furious: :lmao: :lmao: :spinsmile But then the world changed when Barr's Stop Leak hit the market. army

1 - 20 of 51 Posts