Can't get Auger blade off John Deer snow blower

Discussion in 'Snow Removal' started by mitch62, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mitch62

mitch62 New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I got a rock in the rotor blade in the back and it bent it so it jams up. I want to take it out to bend it back, but can't get the auger blade out.

I posted a video about the problem. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDAc3P6Hoo]YouTube - Help! Can't get the auger blade off my John Deere snow blower[/ame]

2. Thomas

Thomas Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Can you see signs of key w/set screw or maybe hollow pin?

3. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    The shaft goes through the back of the housing and probably has a pulley or gearbox attached to the back. You will need to remove that pulley to get the shaft out. The blower fan (the part that blows the snow out the chute) rides on that shaft, and there is a bearing on the back side of the housing. You are most of the way there to get the unit out, but you just have to remove the part holding it on in the back and you should be good. Can you take a pic of the back side of the unit?

4. mitch62

mitch62 New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I see a cuff with a set screw behind the housing. I'll try that. I'll post a pic if that doesn't work.

Thanks a ton for the advice!

5. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    I work on these things all day at my job in town, gets to be second nature after a while. Every brand is a bit different, but I think you see what needs to be done. Happy to help! :)

6. Upper5Percent

Upper5Percent Rara avis

Jul 28, 2008
    These should get you started...assuming this is your blower...30 - 425, 445, AND 455 TRACTORS (QUICK-TATCH) (M01471X)
    notice set screw(23) and shaft key(24)

If you blower is a 35 - 425, 445 AND 455 TRACTORS (M047SBX)
    then you'll have to look that up yourself on JDParts...:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  7. mitch62

mitch62 New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    awesome! Thx!