Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Chief, Down here in Western Washington state they are saying the same thing. The snowmelt has already happened about 2-3 weeks ago and most of it did not get in behind the dams. We have also had 3 years of below normal rain and snow and it also looks like another year of dry weather. We actually went with something stange already this year with 9 weekends in a row of no rain and wonderful weather on Saturday and Sunday until last weekend and still did not rain enough not to mow. Even mountain passes nornally closed in the winter (north Cascade, Chinook passes) are already open for the most part. North Cascade is still closed because of flood damage in October of last year (washout of a bridge.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Jbetts....your going to see certain trends as you get older...some things you just never understand...some areas of the world are getting a glut of rain, like the eastern US at the moment while others like the western US are drying up. There will come a time when the whole of the US is saturated and some other countries will be into long droughts......sadly weird but true!

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well I'm ready for a Drought in the last two days i have got about 12" of rain and it fixing to rain again. And its suppose to rain tomorrow also and maybe Sunday to.:mad:

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
It's been raining here for three to four days straight...we're supposed to get a reprieve this weekend and right back at it again come Monday.:cry: That's O K because it won't be long and there will be to long of a period between storms.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Weather that is perfectly normal is often portrayed by the media as a crisis. Take for example rainfall. In an area where the mean average rainfall is, say, 50 inches it may have a standard deviation of 20 inches. This means that rainfall of 30 inches per year is every bit as normal as 70 inches per year. But if 30 inches fell the media would call it a shortfall. I don't know if that applies in the Canadian situation described, but people don't know that average numbers are rarely normal. It's really unusual to have precipitation that is equal to the mean average numbers.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
:ditto: exactly!!!! Average is just that!! There is no such thing as "normal" amounts of rainfall, just an average of wet and dry years. Deviation from average IS the norm.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
We are really hurting here in western SD. Way below rain fall totals. Ranchers are sell there livestock as most people don't have any water. Then if they don't get any hay they won't have feed to deed what they kept. I here the same for WY, MT and western ND. Being in the ag buisness it has really slowed at work. It could lead to layoff's and of coarse I'm one of the newer employee's.
caseman-d

1 - 10 of 10 Posts