Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My uncle has a 7.5 ft. harrow set which I would like to pull with my new John Deere 5103 tractor. My concern is will the weight of the disk harrows be too much for my tractor to handle? Whats the my lift capacity? Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
Thomas

Attachments

·
john-in-ga
609 Posts
Thomas

I'm going to assume you are talking about a four gang disc harrow, since you speak of picking up a “harrow set”. Your lift will pick up the harrow but in doing so you will find the front end very light even if it says on the ground. I have a 5300 and use a harrow the size of your Uncle’s. I’ve never tried lifting the harrow and driving the tractor without 700 lbs. of weight on the front but the front seems plenty light even with the weight.

You already own the tractor. Give the tractor and your uncle’s harrow a try. You shouldn’t damage the lift just attempting to pick up something heavy.

However, lift capacity isn’t what should be of concern. With enough weight on the front, your lift should lift the harrow, but how well will the tractor handle the harrow when it is in the ground? I think, are going to find your 5103 a little light for the size harrow you have in mind.

:cpu:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
How many HP is the 5103? From the picture I'd say that a 7.5' disk would give it quite a work-out. Likely enough power, but a little on the light side to pull it.;)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
OK, the picture certainly doesn't do it justice then!!:D 50 HP will be all kinds of power, but at just over 2 tons, it may be a little short on traction. If you can add some weight you should be fine.;)

I just did a check on the weight of our 50 HP tractor, I found specs for a 4WD version stating a weight of 5357 LBs. Our 2 WD would likely be in the 5000 LB range then, and you have to keep looking back to see if the disk is still there!:D You might be just fine at your current weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts