Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I harvested 4 heads of cabbage today,so Mrs.Slips can make ham and cabbage.Still have brussell sprouts in the ground.
It has been a short but very productive wild mushroom season this fall.Picked about 3 bushels,we dehydrate them and keep them in the refridgerater.In plastic bags they last all year.Wild Mushrooms are the best thing that could happen to a pot of sauce!
Hopefully I get the rototiller on the John Deere and the produce beds turned under before it snows too much.Got to mulch the strawberries real soon too.My horses have produced a steller pile of soil enhancement that needs to be spread before I till.
It is nice to still be eating things from the garden in New York in November

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Your still harvesting?

I haven't had anything in my garden, except winter rye for the last few weeks. What part of New York are you in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
tomatoes

Down here in the south, we still have most cool weather plants still producing. We still have squash, turnips, and the tomatoes are still going strong. But with it finally getting down in the 30's the last 2 nights :cry: , the garden will finally start to die off.

I posted another pic like this one on the massey section but thought I would post one here too, just to show you guys how green it still is in west TN.

Getting wheat drilled for cover crop on my bermuda fields.

Jay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still in the ground

Along with the cabbage and sprouts we still have some root crops in the ground. Carrotts, onions(mulched with horse manure),turnips,and beets.Forgot about these because they are in Mrs. Slips little kitchen garden at the house.She also has swiss chard doing quite well.That stuff will winter over if it gets covered.
Argee I live in western New York only 5 miles west of lake Erie.The lake is a blessing and a curse.They install an ice boom across the mouth of the Niagara River to keep ice out of the power turbines.This delays our spring,but the lake extends our fall somewhat.Lake effect snow storms!That is a story for another forum.:crazy:

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
My cabbage still have not closed yet. This is my 1st time growing cabbage --- Am I missing something? How long does it take to fully form and ready?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
112 Posts
My cauliflower, turnips, and broccoli are all ate up. I still have some mustard, collards, and the cabbage is about to burst at the seams. Did you use any ammonia nitrate on them? They love that stuff.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
up here in maine we are harvesting mostly snow nowadays.... We do have a small crop of sleet coming soon and will probably have a good harvest of flooding too...

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Originally posted by Merlin
My cauliflower, turnips, and broccoli are all ate up. I still have some mustard, collards, and the cabbage is about to burst at the seams. Did you use any ammonia nitrate on them? They love that stuff.
No, not specifically --- side-dressed with 8-8-8

Merlin, I need to still come over and visit your garden and chat.
Let me know buddy.

Andy

:clap:

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Ammonia nitrate is used in fertilizers as the nitrogen base. My cabbage closed slowly this year also but still yielded good. Next year try triple 12 or 19. Have you done a soil test?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Come over any time Andy. I will be home the next 3 days by myself. My wife's sister came in from NJ so my wife is going to spend the next 3 days at her other sister's house in Walker. We were supposed to be in Ca. now, but she wanted to see her sister because she hasn't seen her in a few years. So it looks like Jan. for our Ca. trip. I have 5 Martin boxes built, so this will give me a chance to build the other 5.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Wow, would love to check it out and learn a thing or two from you! If you dont mind a whippersnapper coming by and helping out, then I might take you up on that! :D Let me know how to contact you and where exactly you live. Thanks so much!

got any pics of your birdhouses?
Andy

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can call me at 985-386-3066 any time. But I could learn more from you than you can from me. This pic. was taken this past summer. I took these down and burned them in August because they hadn't been cleaned in 3 years and am in the process of replacing them now. The Martins come in Feb. and I hope I can get them up by then. They help control the buckflies and mosquitoes in the summer. My wife and I like to sit on the porch and talk to them. They "seem" to talk back.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts