Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! The used market is flooded with lawn tractors right now, I don't know if it is the stimulus checks or boredom, but they are everywhere and the season is right. A few weeks ago, my father decided we should go in on a lawn tractor as we share property and the maintenance is grueling some days. Dad made contact with a local well-known Deere dealer and they confirmed they had a used D130 in good shape, however it was in their other store a state over (about a 35 minute drive) long story short because of COVID 19, the sale was made over the phone (a $1000 purchase) and delivery was arranged, with assurance it was in good running shape, low and behold, we take delivery of it three weeks later, and the oil was low and burnt, air-filter was saturated in oil and fuel, and plugs were charred with burnt oil. The rings were fried, and of course on start up, a constant cloud of blue smoke. Upon further inspection the deck was beat up, un-level, but was missing the pins that hold it to the frame! After a week we got our money back and dad made an early morning trip to another smaller dealer who deals in mostly power equipment, but low and behold, a used 2015 Husqvarna was sitting there in the maintenance area off the sales floor. It belonged to a buddy of the shop owner, it had it's normal coat of dirt on it, but at least it had all of it's hardware, dad was told it would have to be a personal sale, cash only since it was his friends and not part of his inventory. No receipt could be given. Dad informed him he was very interested, but wanted me to check it out as I'm the mechanic of the family, (dad is in his mid 60's and partially disabled, I am 31) and told him he would be back, I was picked up, threw a socket wrench in my pocket with a 5/8 socket on it and jumped in the truck. We arrived, and the owner pointed us to the back of the shop where it was to go look at it, he started bringing in equipment from outside. He was asking $1300, I flipped up the hood and checked the oil, looked okay, I pulled one of the plugs and it looked decent, I started threading it back in by hand and the owner lost his $hit. "What are you doing!?!" I informed him I just pulled one of the plugs to look at it, as it was a used lawn tractor. "What?!?" "Why?!" "Why would you do that?" I gave the plug a firm twist with the ratchet, and apologized, saying I thought the arrangement was for me to look at it prior to purchase. He got between me and the mower, closing the hood on me, and literally pushed it away from me. My wife who had rode with us left the building at this point. He fired it up outside. Seemed to run ok, dad handed him the $1300 and we were off to load the trailer. I'm generally a polite guy, but I have to say I was caught off guard and assumed it perfectly reasonable to pull a plug on a used tractor? What do you guys think? Do you look over used equipment to this extent or do you feel I was in the wrong? Would you buy from someone who stopped you inspecting the equipment?

·
Registered
896 Posts
If there is something he doesn't want me to see, I wouldn't buy, but it sounds more like he is afraid you can't manage a spark-plug by yourself. Based on what I have seen from so called professionals, I can see where that might be a legitimate fear.

·
Administrator
10,192 Posts
I kinda see where Groo is going with this. If I was selling my tractor and let the potential buyer have a look while I finished something up, then found them with tools going at it, I'd be a little upset myself. You may have wanted to wait until the "owner" was there and asked to look at the plugs, etc. while he was there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kinda see where Groo is going with this. If I was selling my tractor and let the potential buyer have a look while I finished something up, then found them with tools going at it, I'd be a little upset myself. You may have wanted to wait until the "owner" was there and asked to look at the plugs, etc. while he was there.
The whole point in having me come there was to look it over, I wouldn't see a point in someone coming to look it over if they cant check something as simple as a spark plug, I'd understand if I removed a valve cover, but I certainly would not spend 1300 on a used rider without seeing more than it just sitting there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: since purchased, the other spark plug in which I did not touch, the wire was not fully pressed on, no big deal but just thought it to be funny as a fuel line running underneath prevented it from a good connection, also, the oil drain plug was broke, it appears someone spun the tool less plug out with pliers, cracking the fitting, leaving it loose and broke. It was a good thing I decided to change the "freshly changed oil" because that would have certainly dumped the contents while moving, also, a few deck washers were gone but no big deal. For a 33 hour machine I would not have expected that granted it is five years old.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
With Dealers, used machines are usually trade-ins, or a machine somebody stiffed them on a repair bill.

When I buy something to flip, it's almost always off CL, or Facebook Market place where people never lie to you:)

I show up with 4 tools that usually cost more than the price the seller is asking for the machine..... Compression tester, leak down tester(with portable air tank), an electronic vacuum tester if they run, and for high-end Z-turns I take my 76810 Flow meter

The look on their face is often priceless and the story magically starts to change.... "You know, I just remembered, I was having a little bit of a problem" ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts