Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying my daughter an Apple eMac computer tomorrow to replace her 4 year old HP laptop. It's a 17 inch all in one PC/Monitor. 8X Superdrive that burns DVD's, and a 160 GB hardrive.

Her HP laptop is on it's last legs, and I am buying it as an early college graduation gift. She has a 4.0 and is Phi Beta Kappa, so she has earned it.

The HP has served her well except for a $300 dollar repair bill last year. However, that is not unreasonable for having a laptop that is toted around for 4 years.

We bought her the Windows laptop instead of a Mac laptop in 2000 for HS graduation because we were worried about "compatibility". I do not regret buying it, even though we switched to Apple shortly before we bought the laptop. I do recall her saying "macs suck" when she first went to college. An acquaintance's son who was also in college said the exact same thing when he was told his dad's friend (me) was an Apple user. Must be a culture or something they teach.

Well I let her choose what she wanted this time (barring an Alienware dual Xeon$$ beast or an Apple DP G5$$) and she didn't hesitate in saying she wanted a Mac. And I can tell you right now that when she takes it out of the box it will be up and running in a minute or two on her broadband internet, and will recognize what she plugs into it. No screwing around with drivers. She will be able to seamlessly integrate her photos, video, and music into a DVD via the Apple software prebundled on the machine. Probably a reason why she chooses to come home to work on projects using our Macs. She will also never have to Defragment her HD and do a daily Virus update.

She can run Microsoft's Office (for OSX) if she chooses to do so. Even without that program (which is a better program than Apple's "Appleworks" IMO) she will be able to view Word documents, PDF's etc.

Any "Windows only" program can be run with Virtual PC. I have virtual PC and can run Windows 98, 2000, XP (have not added XP yet) and Mac OSX at the same time. Quite a sight to behold. The only negative thing about this is VPC is an emulator and is slow on most programs, and definitely cant handle 3D games. About like a 133- 266 Pentium II.

We have a Homeschool "Windows only" program that has a lot of multimedia content this year and it ran so slow that I recently had to purchase a locally built, bare-bones tower PC running Windows XP Pro. I wanted to keep the cost down and did not want a monitor. I use "Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac" which allows me to run the Home School program on the Windows PC using our iMacs keyboard, mouse, and LCD display. It's pretty cool. I find Windows XP Pro to be a nice OS.

Guys, there are alternatives to Microsoft. However a well maintained Windows box is as probably as good as well maintained Mac. It depends on what the user wants and is willing to do. I have taken a lot of grief from people for using a Mac. There are a lot of myths of what a Mac supposedly can't do, just as there are exaggerations perpetuated by Mac users about Windows.

I have recommended 4 computers to close acquaintances in the last year. Two I recommended Macs, and two I recommended a Windows PC. I advised what I thought was best for their particular needs. Everybody seems pleased with their computers so far.

To me, you can't beat the price/performance ratio of a Windows box. Especially if you build one yourself. If you like games, and like to tinker, then that is probably your best bet.

Personally I think Apple OSX is a better OS. The Apple OS has less problems because it will only work on Apple hardware. Plus it is much less vulnerable to Viruses and Spyware. That is why I think Apple offers a better "out of the box" experience. They also hold their value better. However you have to pay more upfront. Kind of like paying for that Green or Orange paint, or buying a CC or Craftsman LT instead of a Murry.

I apologize if I come off preachy, but I do have some knowledge about the ins and outs of Macs and see some some frustration that people have with their computers. I would be glad answer any questions, as this forum's subtitle does make reference to PC's and Macs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There definitely is alot to be said for Apple, I really like how friendly that they have made a "*nix" core in OSX. I really don't understand why a Linux distro can't capture that magic in their Graphical Interfaces and ease of installations, but they don't.

I personally prefer purchasing a Windows box and making it dual boot to Linux, that way I can boot into Windows when I want to play games or make full use of my multifunction printer, and into Linux when I want to surf the net or just about anything else. Linux is still a pain to get many peripherials working right, Apple and Windows both have the advantage there, but I do prefer to learn and tinker, and if you mess with Linux, you will tinker. And you can't argue with the price of Linux.

Apple does cost more, but you do get a good amount in return. I think OSX is where Linux needs to be.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that Linux is making some headway into the business side of computing lately.

Would like to try Linux sometime, but would be afraid to have another "hobby". :)

I still would like to build my own PC. I almost did, but I chickened out, and had a guy build me a low cost tower. Still would like to do it someday and maybe have it dual boot.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi Guys
I just went out and got a new setup. I got another Compaq.
I now have 512 Ram with a 160 gig hard drive. I can also burn
DVDs. I went with the 3 in one HP scan, print and fax unit. Every time I get a new computer they get cheaper than the previous one. If this keeps up in a few years they will be free HA HA
Rodster

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rodster,

Congtats on your fine purchase. My daughter is also getting a 160 gig HD. I don't think you will run out of HD space for awhile. ;)

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
your right rod.. way back when (8-10 years ago) when Pcs were getting popular i used to build them for folks.. build, set them up installed their software ect.. it ws a pretty good part time job.. now that Dell and compaq sell computers for so cheap there is no way to even try to compete.. back then i could get upwards of 2000$ for a PC setup.. nowaday you can get a great setup with all the bells whistles for 700-1400$ and they are about 10000 times more powerful than what i was putting together

1 - 6 of 6 Posts