Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was outside just setting under the gazeebo and kicking back just as the sun was coming up and it started to get light.........Watching my Koi hogging down the food I just put in for them and emjoying a cup of hot black coffee n the morning chill..It was in the upper 40's..........wow what change. I never leave the house to go outa nd about ther place without carrying a shotgun or my 22 mag revolver or the 22 rifle. While setting there I noticed a movement laong the fence line, towards the road. I realized it was a pretty decent sized fox, so eased up the rifle and shot it..........To my surprise there were two very small kits with it..............she must have had them on a forage or hunting trip. I have a feeling she is the one that was getting in my chicken pens by digging under the netting, and probably the one that ate my last couple of ducks during the summer.......................anyway she is not gonna be a problem any more. I tried like heck to catch those kits but those little jokers could haul butt in a heart beat.

I have shot quite a few fox in this area over the years, and most if not all of them were always pretty scragly looking and not at all well nourished and healthy llooking. This one was totally different...she was well fed, and had a beautiful thick coat of fur.............as good of shape as most house dogs.

Most of the time though its always coyotes I wind up shooting. One year I dumped 13 of them during the summer months and that was without going out and hunting for them, just seeing them on chance and getting them. Coyotes are or should I say were pretty plentiful, as you always heard them howling etc. and you cold always find one or two along the fence lines in the fields during early evening or morning..........but this year I have only seen 1 coyote, but severel fox and one bobcat. A couple of years ago I baricaded a young bob cat in my feed room in the barn, and tried to snare it with a snare pole through a window that had a piece of cattle panel over it. . That was a chore, I finally got it snared and subdued, and into a cage called the game warden up and told him I had a bobcat and could he take it and release it somewhere far away from here, and his reply was its just as easy to eliminate it....there is no season on them, but he would pick it up and do a release for me on some state game lands if thats what I wanted......so that bob cat went for a ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Chiper, that is NO fox. That is a coyote. I am surprised it got close enough to even let you get a shot off. Nice shot! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Hi Chip,
In my humble opinion It looks like a Coyote to me , obviously a color rendition is difficult from a photo but I don't believe you have Grays that far south...Do you?
I always welcome to be corrected, it's just an observation!
Dean

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hey Chip!
Do you usually use the .22 rifle on coyotes?

We have a few out at our building lot but they're damned skittish (or sneaky depending on how you wanna look at it). I want to pop 'em before we move out there, but it looks like I may have to hit 'em at 75-100 yards. Does a .22 have enough a$$ for coyotes at that range?

The reason I ask is that I don't have much experience with 'varmit' calibers. I know how my 7.62x39 or my 30.06 shoot, but I think they're overkill for coyotes. I inherited my father-in-law's guns when he died, so now I have choices of .22LR, .22Mag, & 25.06 rifles to varmit with. I want to make sure I do a clean kill, esp. at that range.

TIA!
Angel

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
The 25.06 is near ideal! Very nice ballistics and a trajectory that you can reach out and touch them from a over 300 yards if need be. I have 2 J.P Sauer & Son Model 90 Supreme's in 25.06. Beautiful weapons. The most cost effective caliber I would suggest would be a Ruger Ranch Rifle in stainless .223. You can buy the bulk packs of Winchester hollow points at Walmart real cheap. Very explosive and devasting round as well as instant killer. Just be careful of any near by buildings or areas people might be if any as these rounds (excluding the hollow points) can do tremendous damage even after going through a coyote.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Chief,

Thanks for the input. The 25.06 is a Remington Model 700. If that cartridge is good out to 300 yards, then I guess the Leupold Vari-X-III 3.5x10x(40-I think) scope is more than enough.

-=A=-

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by CatDaddy
Chief,

Thanks for the input. The 25.06 is a Remington Model 700. If that cartridge is good out to 300 yards, then I guess the Leupold Vari-X-III 3.5x10x(40-I think) scope is more than enough.

-=A=-
I have a model 700 25.05 with a 3x-9x Redfield Tracker. Very nice gun, one of my favorites.

It will definatly do the job for you.

·
Registered
664 Posts
All I can say is wow! I just "Googled" the gun & read where people are using the 25.06 for everything from coyotes up to ELK for pity's sake.

Lotsa people taking white tail & muleys with it. Who'd a thunk it? I guess I just don't think 'small' enough. I can't wait to start shooting this gun to get a feel for it.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after more thinking I have to concede, it probably is a coyote.......although our red fox here do have more grey than red.......but its much too large for a red fox and the nose and face is not quite right.........Anyway you look at it, this coyote/ fox certainly was in extremely fine condition..........I weighted it and it came out at 34 pounds.

It was a shot from a bit over 100 yards, and yes a 22 does have enough ass if you hit it right. I hit this one right in front of the shoulder / chest area, and all it did was make a yip and flip over once and that was all it wrote......I used to have a 25-06 and they are a ice flat shooting rifle. It was built on a mauser action, and shot very well. My all time favorite for varmints is a 22-250 in heavy barrel configuration (Rem 700 Varmint special)......I also used to use a Winchester .264 Mag with 100 grain for varmints as well as deer. That sucker packs a punch in recoil and reaches out and gets the meat.........Other than coyotes and fox there is not much in the line of varmints here, but crows are plentiful. I used to be a diligent ground hog hunter when I lived up north and really do missing shooting those pasture poodles........good table fare as well........much better than rabbit, squirrel or deer in my opinion......

The 22 I use is a Ruger M7722, bolt action with a 3 x 9 Leupold wideview scope. Its a deadly squirrel rifle and extremely accurate.......I also have a Ruger Ranch in 30 cal as well as the 223 cal, but if its much out over 200 yards its certainly not a good choice as its just not what I consider a very acurate tack driver. Its got ther range just ot the accuracy for varmints, but in a good bolt action the 223 is great. I used to use a Austin .222 for hogs and crows as well, but finding round for it around here is like finding cartridges for a 500 holland and holland........Been kicking it around for awhile now on buying a .17 cal rifle.......I like the 22 mag but they are just so expensive to shoot.........

I have a heap of guns, most of which have not been shot in many many years......all stored and locked up. Last count was IIRC 11 shotguns, 9 22 rifles, and 18 center fire rifles.....not counting my collecton of older military weapons (still shootable) like M1 carbine and garand and mauser 98's, Mosin Nagants, Springfield 03, Enfield 303, and Egyptian Hakim etc. and the handguns (all smith, colt, ruger and beretta) The S&W are all wheel guns as are the Colts and Rugers and range from the K22 and M17 to the 44 mag, The berettas are all pistols from 9mm to 40 cal and one 380 Bersa

Only guns I have left out to utilize is my elcheapo and most favorite shotguns the Maverick 12 ga 3" chamber......pump with vent rib and 28" barrel. I have 5 of them I have placed in the barn, shop, etc for easy use for critters etc when need be, synthetic stock, aluminum alloy receiver, and most have never been cleaned since day one. I got em when I had a FFL for $70 each brand new......I also keep my Ruger Mini 14 handy, an SKS and the Ruger M7722.........all others are stored.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just like target shooting and at one time wa big into hunting, now I don't hunt anymore, but I burn a lot of ammo just plinking and target shooting here at the house. I have alawys looked at any of the firearms I have ever purchased as an investment of sorts. Buy a good quality firearm and you can always get your money and then some back out of it......I had quite a few more that I have sold off over the years.......I had a complete lineup of all the old model Winchester Model 12 pumps in all the gauges offered, as well as extra barrels (Best pump gun ever made) and quite a few of the old model 30-30 and 32 Winchester Special lever actions, that at one time you could pickup for 50 or 60 bucks in like new condition and are now worth more than a new 30-30 lever action is.

I have not shot any factory loaded ammo in over 20+ years....everything I use is handloaded,be it shotgun, Centerfire or handgun carts, with the exception of 22 and 22 mag carts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The fox population here in Jersey is up this year. Seen more dead fox along the roads this year then any other. I have a nice little ChipMunk .22 for the trapline. Overall lenth is 30". I also use a 22-250 for hogs. Sad part is, I had a TanJar [sp] trigger put in it a few years ago and only used it once since then. Not much time for the fun stuff anymore.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by John-Boy
Poor foyote, She gave her life to the bullet. Good riddance to it.:D
foyote:question: A cross between a fox and a coyote:D

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Isn't Coyote fur still worth some $$$$? My brother-in-law shoots them on his farm in Ohio and sells the pelts. That one you shot has a real nice coat. What tells me it's a coyote is the tail is too short compared to the body.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts