Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My property is primarily old pastureland. It consists of fescue and some lespedeza. I'm keeping some areas finish mowed, some bushogged, and leaving some alone. Some of the areas that I purposely didn't mow had 5 or 6 different kinds of wildflowers.

When should the areas with the tall grasses and wildflowers be mowed? Do you mow in the fall so the cuttings decompose before the spring growth? Or does it matter just waiting until spring?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Argee
As a rule you should mow before they head out (go to seed)..
Won't they be more likely to propagate if they head out? I like the look of the wildflowers mixed in with the grasses.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
Won't they be more likely to propagate if they head out? I like the look of the wildflowers mixed in with the grasses.
If your intent is to have more wildflowers, then by all means allow them to head out. Bushhogging at that point will help sowing the seeds out .

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
So the seeds would more likely sprout if they are dispersed now rather than in the spring?
Mow,
If it's the flowers that you most want, check the stems if they are dry or drying the seeds will be as mature as there ever going to be ... Whack em like Argee said, most true wildflowers need a long dormant period in contact with the soil to be viable and all the little critters like moles, birds and etc will help with the planting, don't worry they won't germinate till ma nature tells them to in the spring!!
Dean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts