Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on building a trailer 18' by 7'. any tips? Also i dont have a truck yet but plan on gettin one of the older ford f-series

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
If at all possible, make the wheels the same as the tow vehicle. That way your spare tire fits everything. It's something I learned somewhere else on this forum.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
As I posted over on your welding thread; my friend Jim and I are building a 5 x 8 trailer for hauling firewood etc. around my property. (more like me being apprentice helping him) Jim explained to me the best metal stock to use is channel stock instead of angle stock. It is evidently much more rigid and stronger. Costs a little more but builds a much better trailer. Normally Jim buys his trailers parts from Red Neck Trailer Supply but since this will not be a road trailer; he used and old mobil home axle that had been cut down and narrowed.

The place that has the best prices on tires is Taskmaster Trailer Components. That is where I got my trailer tires and will be buying axles, fenders, etc.

One of the biggest things to pay attention to is being sure everything is plumb and square. Are you building a gooseneck or standard trailer?

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Welcome farmallmaniac, glad to see your interest in Tractorforum.com.

The different colored light bulbs at the left of the post are for current status of the thread. Whether there has been activity on it since your last visit. The colors represent the amount of activity, but I can't remember what each one represents. There used to be an explanation as to what each one meant, but I don't know where it went. They just add a little glitz to the sight.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it will be a standard trailer. and another question is do i want a wood deck or steel? if wood which im thinking i wanna do what kind?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
farmallmaniac, a couple of other things to think about is type of axles. Do you want leaf springs or torsion axles. The torsion axles give you a much smoother ride and give the trailer independent suspension. But the leaf springs are cheaper. The other thing is a fold up ramp makes life a LOT easier than those metal ramps you have to carry around.

I forgot to answer about a steel deck. A steel deck (usually mesh material will last much longer than wood. The wood deck in my opinion distributes the weight more evenly than the steel does. The steel is MUCH easier to replace and install and maybe a bit cheaper. I prefer the wood.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
The inside of the axle tube has a rubber,urethane bushing pressed into it with a square knotch the axle swing arm fits into. the bushing in the axle flexes and allows the swing arm to articulate but it still holds the load like a conventional spring does. Any spring weather conventional or torsion if over loaded of abused can be made to make the axle hit the frame.

Here is one of 9 trailers I designed and procured for the 101st Airborned Divison for their Iraq deployment. These trailers have 7,000 lb. torsion axles. These trailers I had equipped with surge brakes and pintle mount hitches. The picture is before we had them painted Desert Camoflage.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heavy duty:D ok some more questions. Do torsions last as long as springs? would 2 3500 pound axles be good? also how would i know here on the trailer to mount these. and how do I mount them?

Im startin to think of just buying a trailer

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
To behonest, unless you have a bit of experience building them; sometimes it is a wash and just well to buy one. If you don't mind the drive; my buddy Jim can custom build you a trailer or if you would like a recommendation as to a good manufacturer; I have personally dealt with Jim Brewer at Ja-Mar Mfg. They build one of the best trailers out there.

Ja-Mar Trailers

Give them a call and tell them I sent you. I have their price list; what kind of trailer did you have in mind? I have the

Heavy Duty 6 1/2 x 13 Tandem Axle Box (22" Metal Sides, 7,000 lbs. GVW) It sells for: $1145

Safety chains $5.00
electric brakes $100 per axle
Board Gate $10.00
Ramps 4' $40.00
rear storage for ramps $25.00
4' mesh gate $150
extra 6" width $50.00
teardrop fenders $25.00
2 5/16 ball hitch $10.00

trailer comes with 15" new taskmaster trailer tires & white spoke wheels

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I forgot to mention that it makes for a nice trip to bring the family on. You can drive down an spend the night, eat at Lamberts and then pick up your trailer in the morning. Lambert's has great food and is loads of fun!

Lambert's Cafe

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
It varys by state but typically it is 8'6". That typically gives you a trailer box platform width of about 7'. Most standard trailer box platform widths are typically 6'6" .

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
You can go wider that that but then you have to go through the permitting process which can be a royal pain. The 7 ft. trailer should be wide enough for pretty much anything you want to put on it. The total width would be 8'6" overall outside fender to fender width.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts