Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have had a chance to post a few pictures of my bucket project in the photo album, I figured I'd start a thread regarding DIY bucket loader attachments for lawn tractors.

I didn't really like the looks of the manually operated one from Sears and the Johnny Bucket was a little too expensive for me. So this was my first project using a wire-feed welder and wanted to know what others thought. If you have your own design, I'd like to see how it turned out.

Attachments

·
Banned
123 Posts
It looks nice, nice job. But is the axle on that tractor going to be able to handle that load?

·
Registered
250 Posts
:ditto:

Hi Mark,

No question about it, your build looks very impressive!

My thoughts mirror "filman" concerning 3/4" spindles...

Shartel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bucket Loader

I did look into the capacity before I started the project. Craftsman offers a bucket for this tractor and is rated for 200lbs, so I assumed that the front axles should hold that much weight. This bucket will hold 1.5ft3 of material and sand will weigh about 100lbs/ft3. Obviously clippings and bark mulch will weigh less.

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Awsome job Mark! I'd like to build a rake of sorts for my JD 316 for moving light brush in the woods in places I can't get to with my larger tractor. Very impressed with what you've done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bucket Plans

Well, I started out with a sketch and a basic BOM, but there are no formal plans. If you start a similar project, let me know and I'll try to let you know some of the revisions I'd make base on results so far.

Attached is the sketch and BOM. I purchased the winch from Harbor Freight Tools for $50 and the other supplies from Metal Depot for about $150.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Johnny Bucket

I'm very interested to see how the Johnny Bucket works out! I was a little too cheap to buy one, but was inspired by it. Post some pictures once you have it installed.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
That is a great job, the only concern/problem i have seen anyone have is with the frame of the tractor. I have seen a few buckle right around the mid point under the foot rest area, you may want to beef it up somehow.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
You built that having never used a welder before? Impressive if so.

Has the Harbor Freight winch held up without issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, the winch has held up quite well, the winch cable has a slight fray starting in one spot that got kinked though. Not bad for $50...

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Beats a shovel, and added mileage on the back! How's the yellow paint holding up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the frame. I did build the bucket to only hold about 150lbs and don't push it too hard when using it. I guess if I have trouble I might try welding up a heavier frame and upgrade the tractor.

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the frame. I did build the bucket to only hold about 150lbs and don't push it too hard when using it. I guess if I have trouble I might try welding up a heavier frame and upgrade the tractor.
I know how that works.:D Keep ramping it up, and lifting heavier things, then ramping it up more. Pretty soon you're using the rider to lift the car up for oil changes!:lmao::lmao:

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Looks great. I ordered a Johnny Bucket Jr. Not as handy as u are.
Nice tractorStevenP! But I don't see any grass clippings or juice anywhere on there yet!:lmao: Still under warranty?:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The paint is a little scuffed on the underside of the bucket and a chip here or there inside, but not too bad though. I started by using a couple of coats Rust-Oleum primer in a spray can. Then used a spray gun to apply the yellow, again Rust-Oleum brand. I thinned it with about 25% acetone before applying it. I think the paint applied with the gun is a little more durable than when applied from a spray can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
your tractor looks good

I like the looks of your bucket loader it must have took a lot of ingenuity to build. Have you attached an actuator for down pressure? so that it would make it easier to dig with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts