Tractor Forum banner

What type of connection do you generally connect to this site?

• BROADBAND (FAST)

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • DIALUP (SLOW)

Votes: 20 50.0%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please indicate your connection speed to this site so that I can adjust my new changes accordingly. (load times, graphics etc)

Broadband=DSL, Cable Modem, Direct Network LAN link at office (usually DS1 or greater), etc. -- i.e. FAST! (500Kb +)

Dialup=you know --- NetZero, Earthlink, AOL Dialup, etc - SLOW.
(56k ~ 33.6k etc)

Thanks!
Andy

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Dial up - 31,200bps :cry:

I'm about 5 miles from the central office. There has been a lot of oops and repairs on the phone line from there to here over the years. The results are a lousy internet connection which, as Andy said, "=SLOW"....

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Dsl

DSL dont know the speed but when i click on something here in as fast as a blink of an eye its up.:smiles:
Jody :usa:

·
Registered
336 Posts
DSL...........

I used to have Dial-Up, and seldom got a connection faster than about 30k, but about 4 or 5 months ago, we switched to 256k DSL. It works great, and is often faster than the T1 line I use at the College, as there aren't 500 other computers sharing it.

My DSL is supposed to be 256K, and routinely gives me 230-235, so I guess I'm not going to complain much. I think it works even better because I'm smart enough to use Netscape instead of IE.

(Sorry... I had to throw that little jab in)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Big DSL

1.5 M.
Tested and got about 1.4M. My only slow downs are on the other end!

·
Registered
336 Posts
johnbron-

"Well this is what mine says for whatever the hell it means.

Connection Speed
45333 bps (uncompressed)"

That means you are about 48K, which isn't too bad for Dial-Up....

If you're on DSL, Cable, T1 or T3 however.... Ask for a HUGE refund, as it isn't working too well!!!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
It is usually up around (50??? +/-) but I am using WebTV so I have no control over it but it is fast enough fer me. I used to be on a 33k unit and it was slow so I got this plus unit about 3 years ago and it is 56k capable.

What does

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
theres a good site... bandwidthplace.com tat allows you to do an actual trasfer rate and connection speed test...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm usually enjoying a fast DSL connection -- that is until Verizon inadvertently turns the switch off... Happened again a couple of weeks ago! :furious:

The killer is it can take them up to a month to turn it back on... They say I should be up and running again by mid next week... Until then, it's trusty old dialup. 56K ain’t that bad. Shoot, I still remember 1200 baud – I believe that = 1.2K comparatively speaking. Man, we've come a long way in short time. I have cable @ home -- talk about blisters on your fingers -- it's quick!:smiles:

Here's a nice little speed test for those who are interested. Dial-up might take up to a minute to load the page, so be patient...

McAfee Connection Speedometer

1 - 20 of 72 Posts