Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it okay to use old piston pin pins in a new piston? In my service manuel it doesnt say which way the rings go. I got the one big ring it I cant remember what its called lol either the oil one or compression, but ne ways how do I know which way is up with these rings? and which groove in the piston. Thanks
Ryan

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Your new piston should have come with new pins any one i have bought always have. And the rings rotate them so they are not lined up with each other.
Jody

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the new ones I couldnt get them suckers in so I just put the old ones in. Now about the rings i meant which way is up for them? Like some have a groov on the inside.
Ryan

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
The last Briggs i rebuilt the package the rings came in said which rings went where and which side was up.
Jody

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look for teeny, tiny "pip" marks...

...(look like center punch marks, or sometimes a letter or number) on either side of the rings near the gap. In most cases the marks should face up. If no marks, typically, which way doesn't matter. Also, what is the rings profile? If it's a rectangle, probably no marks and direction doesn't matter. If there is a step or a bevel, usually down (but not always), but then there should be pip mark on upper face. Also, DO NOT reuse old pins and especially the keepers. Always use new. Rings are of three types, oil ring is lowest, has holes in it, or is like a spring or wavy strip of sheet metal and two thin rails. Wavy ring in first, then spiral rails in alongside. Middle ring is scraper ring, may have dark anodised coating. Top ring is compression, sometimes dark, sometimes metal colored, sometimes chromed. Rotate ring gaps 120 degrees apart from each other.
I can't believe there were no instructions in the box. Had it been opened that you could tell?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello:

My favorite way to remember the way rings into pistons is easy.

Fat ones on the bottom, when your down your out and up your in.

Down and out and up and in refering to the bevels on the top compression rings.

Hope this helps people to remember.

Also as far as rotating them 90 or 120 degrees from each other, according to Briggs that is not necessary anymore because of the way the cylinders are honed and the way the rings are produced now. I know in the old days it was true to help stop loose of compression and burning oil. But now I have lined up the rings in a straight line and had no problems.

Bob:homereat:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Welcome aboard Bob, thanks for the info. I was going to guess not to use old pins. I would want all new parts if I was rebuilding the engine. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts