Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between 12.5 horse powerbuilt motors and regular 12.5 motors both being flat heads

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Just the name.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Here is a short narrative on the differences between the current crop of B&S engines:
• Vanguard™ OHV (overhead valve) engines are maximum performance, cast iron sleeved engines. - select for continuous heavy duty applications.
• INTEK™ PRO, Industrial Plus™ and I/C® (Industrial/Commercial) engines are cast iron sleeved. - select for medium duty commercial, industrial and rental use.
• INTEK™and PowerBuilt™ engines are aluminum cylinder bore OHV engines. - select for general consumer use.
• Standard engines are aluminum cylinder bore, side valve engines. - select for general consumer use.

Back when the first PowerBuilt engines were introduced they were the aluminum bore engines developed to compete with the low cost Japanese engines in the consumer power products niche. The primary difference in the flat head engine era was that the regular engines were equipped with cast iron bores, and the PowerBuilt engines were aluminum bore engines to save money and lower the cost. The original PowerBuilt engines are now the Standard flat head engine.

Normally parts are not interchangeable between the older cast iron bore and the aluminum bore engines. Now, when one opts for the flat head engine they only get the aluminum bore engine.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I like the new one I bought for the reason that it has electric, and pull start. I have a swisher trail mower with a powerbuilt 11 hp on it. I wasnt sure if it was more heavy duty, or not. Thankyou to Mr. John, and RC.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thx wjjones , does anybody know about the power built meteors Briggs makes . What type they are geared towards homeowners or the commercial guys who use them a lot

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Ok thx wjjones , does anybody know about the power built meteors Briggs makes . What type they are geared towards homeowners or the commercial guys who use them a lot

I bought the 17.5 powerbuilt for a replacement on my bobcat walk behind in case the 15 hp Kawi on it now doesnt work out. I have found out through a ton of research that it is common to replace the higher priced engines with these type engines. I have seen quite a few converted to Briggs L- head, and power built Briggs engines. Which are pretty much the same type engines I believe. Unless another member can add some extra info on this subject?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can i rebuild the bottom end of my 12.5 l head powerbuilt briggs motor or i have to replace the motor it self there is a knock in the motor but it runs strong besides a littlr smoke at start up ??? Any help would be great

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
IT can be rebuilt, but it might be pricey.
If the crankshaft rod journal isn't scored,or worn(use a micrometer ,to check it), then get new rod,rings and head gasket,and do it !

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
The Intek V Twin is what is considered a residential class engine, for light duty and not particularly well built. Lifespan can be anywhere from 150 to 425 hours with reasonable service. The Briggs Vanguard is the commercial duty engine, with a lifespan of over 1,000 hours to twice that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Intek V Twin is what is considered a residential class engine, for light duty and not particularly well built. Lifespan can be anywhere from 150 to 425 hours with reasonable service. The Briggs Vanguard is the commercial duty engine, with a lifespan of over 1,000 hours to twice that.
Well my 23hp intek els on my jd z245 .just blew cylinder number2 head gasket. It blew into the intake pushrod galley, anyway everything looks good with the motor it was the one we talked about and I was rebuilding. Rebuild was a total success maybe ill get another 136.4hrs out of it. Now I'm wondering if you have any advice as to changing the oil in th hydro gear model zc transmission. I've read it holds 56 oz. of 20w50 is this correct?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Does anyone know with good proper maintenance how many hour one can expect to get from the intek v twin ohv engines?
I had over 1,000 hrs on my intek when I sold it. It still ran pretty good but you could tell it didnt have the power like when it was new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts