Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the Briggs twins.
I found,early on, that there are few differences in the horizontal -shaft,horizontally opposed engines,and the vertical- shaft horizontally opposed engines.
Many parts swap easily,and can,with a few changes,be swapped to the other .
Pistons ,on some were different,as was the position of the oil dipstick tube,and the intakes.
Some had different mounting for the control brackets.
The connecting rods were the same,but had to be mounted with the oil holes in different positions.
But,by and large, you could change a vertical,to a horizontal,..or vice-versa,quite easily.
One exception,however was the horizontal engines with ball bearing crankshafts,as the blocks were different,internally.
This is the type in my Bolens,(422437-1020-02) and it has done well,in 4 tractors,and a couple of weird experiments,over the years .
So, I keep looking for more of them,hoping to have some extras to play with.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Yes Sir I have noticed on some that have recoil start also are pre setup for electric start. With good pm matainance they out last the equipment they are mounted on.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aside from the ones with ball bearing crankshafts, I have converted several from vertical,to horizontal.
The biggest change,in the blocks was drilling ,and tapping the dipstick tube hole.
Also,the connecting rods are simply installed with the oil holes in a different position,for good lubrication.........part numbers are the same.
Pistons,however differ from vertical,and horizontal,on some blocks .
Also, some of the older blocks have the linkage mounts spaced differently,but can be used ,with an adapter being made.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet you can do alot more modification easier on the cast iron blocks as opposed to the cast Alminium?
It depends on the "mods" you want to do,actually .
I've seen 4 singles ,tied together shaft-to-shaft,,and I've modded an 11hp (flathead) for racing,that developed 16 hp,...and it's still running .
I 've ported/polished the intakes,etc.,so there are many mods that can be done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It depends on the "mods" you want to do,actually .
I've seen 4 singles ,tied together shaft-to-shaft,,and I've modded an 11hp (flathead) for racing,that developed 16 hp,...and it's still running .
I 've ported/polished the intakes,etc.,so there are many mods that can be done.
Hi you really caught my attention when you said that you ported and polished the head.
I currently have a Briggs and Stratton 23hp intek els series most all of the way torn down only the short block remains bolted to my John Deere Z245Mower.
I just inherited it and had to quite a bit of repairs,one new magneto ignition coil on cyl2, new starter and stator,Nikki carb kit, repair cyl1blown head gasket and replace both push rods and the intake valve. This mower was seriously neglected and I would never have been repairing the machine except for the fact that it only has 23 hours on it. When my grandad first got it he mowed once parked in the shed and forgot to turn it off. So it overheated and blew a head and it was never used again.
Now it's mine and I believe a $3790 mower is worth fixing. All the parts came today and I was gonna wait until tomorrow morning to reassemble every thing. But I have noticed your post and am wondering what mods I can do to get more hp since its basically a bare block, and if I'm going to do something then now is the time to before I put it back together following factory specs.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also were there websites for amping small engines? I'm a serious gear head and majoring in mechanical engineering so the more detailed information the better.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Modding engines,for more HP,is fine,...if your're going to race it,and don't care about the cost,or the wear increases.
For general yard duties,I'd leave it stock,as it would be more reliable.
There's an old saying:
"Speed costs money,son,...how fast do you want to go?"
The intakes,and heads are designed to be reliable,and efficient,for their intended use,and if you can find someone that is EXCELLENT at polishing the intakes,that isn't too bad,for the engines.....but,too often they take too much off,and the engine will LOSE power.
There are no aftermarket parts to help add HP,and the ones that are available,are usually for engines designed for pulling,or racing,...and that costs a LOT,since they don't ,normally,last more than a few pulls,or races.
You could get away with boring the cylinders,for oversized pistons, but any attempt to change the timing,or add a different cam, or milling the heads,would need flow benches, dynos,etc.,and the engine won't last long,and would certainly not perform well,as a lawn/garden tractor.
One other item...the flat heads can turn higher RPMS,than an OHV,since the valves don't "float out" as quickly.
That's why they used them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for responding soquickly. I guess that answers that then. Ill just build it up and I will have a reliable almost new mower. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Fascinating thread this, I am in the process of restoring an old Excelsior motorcycle, which has a Villiers motor in it, it is surprising how many internal and external parts interchange with other machines using Villiers motors, boat outboard motors, lawn scythes and mowers,all sorts!

G

·
I popped in here cause the title says "Old Style" briggs.... the twins are not OLD enough to be called Old Style yet...LOL

but I did find geoffs comments interesting.... I have an 1930s era Villiers Jr engine...
001.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts