1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Briggs and Stratton tapered crankshaft

Discussion in 'General Lawn Garden Tractor Forum' started by SR5J, Jul 19, 2011.

1. SR5J

SR5J New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Hey guys, my first time posting, and thought I would see if anyone knows of a readily available crankshaft adapter. I have a 16hp. briggs opposing twin that I removed from my lincoln welder, and would like to use it on a log splitter that I am currently building, however the engine has a tapered crank, and I was wondering about an adapter to a keyed shaft?? Anyone run into this before?? It's always something eh??
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    You could always swap out the crankshaft to a more standard one. As for an adapter, I haven't seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

3. SR5J

SR5J New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Thanks

Thanks Country Boy! I "think" I can get a "Love-Joy" coupling that is tapered on one half and keyed for the hyd. pump on the other half, or maybe go to a machine shop and have an adapter made. Was hoping for an easy,simple fix, you know how it is when you do everything yourself, and try to save $$ !! Sure appreciate your insight, thanks again!!!