Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Canada, some brilliant desk jockey decided to roll all the branches of the services into one, the "Canadian Armed Forces", so I guess I was wondering about the differences between the US branches. Navy and Air Force are pretty self explanitory, but what is the difference between Army and Marines??

Thanks in advance for the replies.:nerd:

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Army are the grunts that shoot guns and live in fox holes.

Marines are Navy guys that can't understand the difference between Port and Starboard.

That's about it in a nutshell...INCOMING!!!!

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
While were waiting for the attack on Fort Greg...

I think the duties of our forces seem to be mixing together now more than they used to. Maybe due to the lack of full time members? :confused:

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Marines are what Navy personell keep on board their ships for entertainment on those long voyages........no not really, Marines are more of an amphibious mobile unit, that canusually do more with less than what it takes the army to do. The army is strictly land based operations where marines assault from land or sea, and are pretty capable of doing most operations with fewer men and older equipment in out of the way locations. (Not talking any special forces types such as Green Berets, Rangers, Seals etc etc, just out and out reg military type troops. If you notice the marines seem to get older equipment as comparaed to the Army (They fly cobras, army has latest and greatest Apache). The marines are more self supporting as well, as they have their own air wings both fixed and rotary, so its their own guys that do the close air support and know the ropes of the game. The army relies on the NAVY, USAF and MArines to support them for CAS stuff, in addition to their Apache helios etc.

Marines still use the old M-60 battle tank, which was phased ut of th US Army.....

The M-60 and the Cobras they use have been updated but its still not like having the latest and greatest like the USAF and ARMY have, but they can make it work and usually make it work great.
I have seen Marine aircraft being used in day to day operations that the USAF would have grounded. I think the USAF is more by the book 110% whereas the MArines know what can and can't be done with a peice of equipment and still can do what it takes using stuff the USAF would have grounded and do it without putting the air crews in danger......Marines are just folks that can do it all........Army relies on the USAF for support and transportation. Marines usually use Navy for transport. Marines are more or less the grunts of the Navy, trained more for water borne operations and small skirmishes that need to be handled quickly and discretely and on short notice. Marines are usually assigned to a Fleet, and there are always a contingent of marines on most ships just incase.

I have always admired the way Marines function, even though I used to be regular Army and also USAF......the marines get my vote all the time. They even have the best looking uniform(s). The Army is pretty good on uniforms, as is the Navy, but the USAF, well, all I can say there is that a USAF type can remove his stripes and ribbons and go to his second job as a bus driver.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
This will be a very simplified explaination. Under normal circumstances, the Marines are the guys sent in to take a beach, capture a city, assault a base, etc. The Army are the guys that hold the beach, city, base, and prevent it from being recaptured as well as strengthening the position. Marines are transported by Navy ships as well as their own. One of the reasons I read of the Marines still using Cobras, is that they fit on the little Marine helicopter aircraft carriers. I believe there is a similar reason they use the older tanks as they are lighter in weight, making them easier to transport. Marines are usually the initial strike force and ease of transporting equipment rapidly is very important.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well as a flap I would have to agree with Chip on the uniform thing, Ours haven't exactly been something to write home about. When I left basic training I had two US emblems on my lapels, a name tag and one lonley ribbon for finishing basic. Not to mention that cool bus driver hat! Yes that is what we called it.:mad: Our new dress uniform is a little better but still borders on a buisness suit. I think the utility uniform the marines have is one of the best.

Now as far as making one service, I dunno. It would be like putting together 5 seperate huge companies.

The Air Force controls the air and space. We also provide transportation to and from the battle field and provide close air support to the troops on the ground.

The Army takes and holds the real estate. They do that by coming in by parachute, helicopter, or their own vehicles, tanks APC, Hummer or other tracked or wheeled vehicle.

The Marines do basically the same thing except their speciality is coming in from the water. Their ride to the scene is by ship or anphibious task force(See Navy) They also take and hold real estate. They do have aircraft units as well They are meant to be pretty much self sufficiant.

The Navy conducts its operations in all the garden spots of the worlds oceans. They control the sea and air around the carrier task forces and anfibious task forces. They support the Marines with a ride and air cover if they didn't bring their own!

Last but not least is the Coast Guard. They take care of our shores and shores of areas we have made ports. They also take care of the navigation equipment for shipping.

I know if left a lot out and hopefully didn't mess it up too bad but in a nut shell that is it!:D

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
And the forgotten service is the merchant Marines that carry supplies to all the other guys when needed. The least glamourous of the services, and during WW II, one of the more dangerous because of German sub attacks.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Hey Chipmaker, I think the Marines finally phased out the M-60. My son is a Marine, 8th Tanks (Reserve) and his unit is all M1A1. Of course, the Army is going to the M1A2. My son's battalion was in the original invasion of Iraq last year and they had no M60s. He was in boot camp during the invasion so he wasn't with them. He is due to be deployed about January, and unfortunately, they are going to leave their tanks at Ft. Knox when they go. They will deploy as infantry. He's a main battle tank mechanic so he mans an M88 Hercules Recovery Vehicle. I think I did read somewhere though, that there were a few M60s used in the invasion.
There was some talk a while back about how the Marine Corps' mission was no longer relative to the country's needs and maybe they should be eliminated. The Marines have historically been for the sudden violent invasion and conquest, then back off and let the Army manage the occupation. My son's training has been changed to include a lot of SASO (Security and Stability Operations) elements because they will be used more as peacekeeping or occupation type forces. All the active duty Marines I know are now getting the SASO training also. Hutch

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Good on the son Hutch, I know I couldn't handle the Marines. I am a big baby, I like my A/C and cushy Air Force Job.

There was a line in John Waynes movie "The Green Berets" Muldoon was talking to Peterson the scrounger and he couldn't believe all the stuff Peterson had acquired. Peterson told Muldoon " I am not a Marine I believe in my comfort!" That about sums it up.

When you talk to your son tell him thanks, and god speed for me!!!:bigusa:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Stewart, thanks for the good words of support. They've been relayed to him. It takes some cojones nowadays to join any branch of the service when you KNOW you're going to be deployed someplace dangerous. My son's plan was to join the Reserves, go to college, become an engineer, then go active as a Marine officer. Don't know how long that will take with the deployments he'll be involved in. He came busting in the door a few minutes ago: He had just gotten a call from one of his NCOs that their new M16A4 rifles with the night vision scopes had arrived and they needed some guys at Ft. Knox this evening for a night fire test. About a 100 mile drive for him to the base. They've been using the M16A2 and the A4 is an upgrade. I was surprised they got the A4 so soon. They usually only get new equipment after it's obsolete. LOL
Sorry about hijacking the thread! Hutch

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the answers guys!! I knew with all the service folks here, I'd get a decent answer to a complex question.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I read this thread with enjoyment and I must say you all gave a good account of your descriptions and generally accurate providing you do not take into account the intense specialization of our services in recent years and we all work in support of the defined mission better now than ever before!!!

Dean
*** USA (Ret)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Off the Subject but I wouldn't mind trying out the A4 with night vision. I like stuff like that. I havn't had to qualify on weapons in quite a while. It isn't required for my job here, so no shooting for work!! It is a terrible thing to get to shoot and be paid for it!

I hope I wasn't off base with my previous post, I tried not to leave anybody out or hurt any feelings!! It all comes back to the Department of Defense for the United States of America! :bigusa:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts