Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got this Box Blade with my tractor. I was hoping someone here would be able to ID what brand it is . Also I will need a new hydraulic cylinder for it which is easy and I don't need it right away for what I want to do. What I really need is to figure out a bushing for the location the lower mounting pin goes into.You can see it in one of the pictures. I thought I found what I need but I was oh so wrong. What do you guys recommend ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Howdy TR,

What size OD, ID, and length bushing do you need? You are going to have to weld them in place.....

Scarifiers are expensive, if you can find correct fit

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howdy TR,

What size OD, ID, and length bushing do you need? You are going to have to weld them in place.....

Scarifiers are expensive, if you can find correct fit
BigT thanks for the reply . I don't mind welding them in . The outer diameter is a bit rough but If I remember right it was 1.45 . I did a quick measurement with the micrometer a couple weeks ago. I'll get another measurement. Do I need to have a bushing made or can I find them somewhere for something like this ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know scarifiers are expensive but I think I found some that will fit. I'm hoping to get this thing dialed in for les then half the price of a new box blade. I figure since I got it free with the tractor I might as well give it a good solid try at getting it fixed up. Luckily at this time I don't even need the scarifiers or the hydraulic cylinder for what I want to get accomplished.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would think a quick fix would be to weld a plate drilled to the proper 3pt cat. size on each side of the mounting ears. A couple of grease zerks could be added if you felt it was necessary. Or just plate and add a 3pt stud instead of using a pin. B.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This looks like an old Gannon brand box scraper........What is the width and I might be able to come up with a model number for it.....
I'll get a measurement and post back here. I tried to google search old Gannon Box Blades and could not find one that looked like it . But that doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910, Ford 555A, JD2210
545 Posts
That's an awesome old BB. Your buddy is gonna solve the bushing problem, awesome!!! Shop for scarifiers. Thing to look for is how they lock in place. Since you need them all, varied length won't matter. A hydraulic cylinder will be cheap. I'm guessing $400 and you'll basically have a new BB. Bargain!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's an awesome old BB. Your buddy is gonna solve the bushing problem, awesome!!! Shop for scarifiers. Thing to look for is how they lock in place. Since you need them all, varied length won't matter. A hydraulic cylinder will be cheap. I'm guessing $400 and you'll basically have a new BB. Bargain!!!
Thank you it seems to be a stout piece . I had it hooked up to the tractor to move it and did a little scraping and I could see the benefit of having it real quick. Do you agree with it being a Gannon box blade ?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thank you it seems to be a stout piece . I had it hooked up to the tractor to move it and did a little scraping and I could see the benefit of having it real quick. Do you agree with it being a Gannon box blade ?
I have no opinion about the brand. I'm familiar with Gannon. But never saw one like that.

These unanswered questions always intrigue me. I'd always be on the search for an answer!!! It's one of a kind design for sure.

Wanted to ask, is there a "hook" that latches the scarifier bar in the lowered position. If I could see that hook design it would help. What I can see is just the top end of what I think is the hook. The shape of the bottom end is what I'm wanting to see.

·
853 Posts
The hydraulic cylinder will rotate the square tube the scarifiers fit in, with it rotated as it is now the shanks are raised,
retract the cylinder and the square tube will rotate around so the shanks are vertical.
If it's not a Gannon it is a close knockoff.
For connecting to the 3 point lift arms I would want a long pin that will go through both plates with the lift arm sandwiched in between.

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
YUou can either buy shanks with weld on points or pin on points (with a roll pin). I prefer the pin on points myself. ASC Agri-Supply sells bare shanks as well as shanks with points and the pin on points (and weld on points) too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no opinion about the brand. I'm familiar with Gannon. But never saw one like that.

These unanswered questions always intrigue me. I'd always be on the search for an answer!!! It's one of a kind design for sure.

Wanted to ask, is there a "hook" that latches the scarifier bar in the lowered position. If I could see that hook design it would help. What I can see is just the top end of what I think is the hook. The shape of the bottom end is what I'm wanting to see.

I was able to snap a couple pics last night. I hope you can make sense of these. I want to use it for spreading some rock and cleaning up a long driveway. Eventually I will need the scarifiers and hydraulic cylinder to work but I have to take one thing at a time. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Looking at your last pics, I'm more confused than before.

Everyone take a look at his latest pic showing the rotating shank beam.

Is the cylinder currently extended? If so, the shanks are rotated forward?

If the cylinder is retracted, then how does it have enough stroke to extend far enough to lower the shanks?

My simple mind is struggling.

For sure I don't see any locking mechanism so all the forces exerted by the lowered shanks is being put on the cylinder?

Mine latches in the lowered position removing the load from the hydraulics.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts