Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My yard is due for a final round of cleaning up leaves with a combination of raking and mulching with the old Lawnboy. The leaves were still a little damp yesterday so I held off. Plus I hurt my shoulder. Not sure how I did it, but the back of my left arm/shoulder hurts like hell when I lift my elbow up. I've had a stretched rotator cuff on my right arm numerous times, but the pain is always in the front of my shoulder.

So yesterday I spent the entire day inside. Listened to music and a football game on the radio. Filed and de-filed a boatload of paperwork, and filled my paper shredder up twice, as well as filled up a box with paper (we recycle paper/cardboard). Amazing how much junk got accumulated. My desk looks 100% better now.

I also went through all my files on my computer. Deleted and re-filed a lot of stuff. Now my computer desktop is tidy, too. I keep a "holding file" for stuff to be backed-up or filed later. I had been good with the back-ups, but the "filing" part had been neglected for a long time. Ended up making a lot of subfolders in my desktop folders also. Backed up all my rearranged files, and life is good. Here's a proud pic of my desktop:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang, I decided to change the pic to an attachment instead of a hosted image because I was curious to see how big it would display on the download, and the edit post function wouldn't let me make an attachment. So here it is:
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
Mow........I think youy have a problem..none of the icons I clicked on will open the files or run any programs...........:D

So you run a MAC........i have always heard the more you have on a Windoes based machine on the desktop the slower it is to boot up.........is a MAC the same ?

I usually only have a very few items on my comp desktop but my regular desktop is piled sky high......would have to hire a roll-off dumpster if I started cleaning up mine, and its a few years past when it should have been done.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Chipmaker
Mow........I think youy have a problem..none of the icons I clicked on will open the files or run any programs...........:D

Keep clicking. The Internet is probably just slow today! :D

So you run a MAC........i have always heard the more you have on a Windoes based machine on the desktop the slower it is to boot up.........is a MAC the same ?

Doesn't seem to be. I have 4.13GB on my Desktop. I am on a 400 MHz machine, so I woulndn't know what a fast computer was like if it bit me in the a$$. :lmao: Seriously though, I think it boots up in under a minute.

I usually only have a very few items on my comp desktop but my regular desktop is piled sky high......would have to hire a roll-off dumpster if I started cleaning up mine, and its a few years past when it should have been done.....

I considered renting a dumpster from the city! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
41 degrees @ 7 : 22! OK but Where do you set your coffee cup??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chipmaker

FTR: Boot up time is 1m 15s from power on to when all the desktop icons are displayed. Not as fast as I thought, but not too bad, IMO. In addition, there is 20 seconds of hard drive chatter after the DT icons are displayed. I usually wait until the HD quiets down b4 I do anything.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
My coffee cup stays in my hand........thats why my typing errors are such a disaster, typing with one finger and trying to reach the Shift key without spilling any of that precious liquid.


My machine a 7hundred something or other Mhz (755 IIRC) takes 1 minute 30 seconds to get desktop up and displayed, and another 30 or so seconds for ther HD to calm down. But then I can spend 5 or more minutes connecting and dissconecting my dial up connection until I can get a decent connect speed.....which usually is anywhere from 19xxx to 21600 for the most part and on a good day my see 24000 or higher, but thats rare but then again I am in the country with some pretty ragged phone lines.....

Hope your shoulder gets better.......This year I have very little pine straw fall, thanks to Ivan, as I got to clean up all that stuff that I would normally be picking up now earlier this year.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Archdean
41 degrees @ 7 : 22! OK but Where do you set your coffee cup??
Up on my desk above my right hand and above my large keyboard tray. I used to keep it on the right-hand side of the keyboard tray. But you can probably guess why I don't do that anymore. :D

Note how the finish is wore off on the desk. Shows that I drink too much coffee and spend too much time on the computer!


<img src=http://www.homepage.mac.com/userosx/.Pictures/desk.jpg>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Chipmaker
My coffee cup stays in my hand........thats why my typing errors are such a disaster, typing with one finger and trying to reach the Shift key without spilling any of that precious liquid.


My machine a 7hundred something or other Mhz (755 IIRC) takes 1 minute 30 seconds to get desktop up and displayed, and another 30 or so seconds for ther HD to calm down. But then I can spend 5 or more minutes connecting and dissconecting my dial up connection until I can get a decent connect speed.....which usually is anywhere from 19xxx to 21600 for the most part and on a good day my see 24000 or higher, but thats rare but then again I am in the country with some pretty ragged phone lines.....

Hope your shoulder gets better.......This year I have very little pine straw fall, thanks to Ivan, as I got to clean up all that stuff that I would normally be picking up now earlier this year.....
What's a 755 IIRC?

That blows about your dial-up. Sounds like you might be out aways from your telco switching station and/or have some bad plant (lines) serving your area.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
755 mhz chip...........IIRC (if I remember correctly)

I think thats what I was told the chip is anyhow. My son gave me this computer so there really is no telling what it is.......other than its a Gateway.......My old standby is a Gateway dual pentium pro 200,, and about all I do with it any more is use it when I burn a CD or listen to sound tracks etc......it is mainly a SCSI setup, and I have my scanner, burnber etc all setup onit. Once its booted its fairly fast, but it takes forever to boot (5+ minutes)


Yep my connect speeds suck, but I can't really justify DSL setup.......its not like I have to have instant access at fast speeds, but it would be nice........but I'm retired and in no real hurry anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an old Pukeard Bell Pentium 75 in storage. It had some problems, and I probably gave up too easily trying to fix it. I had a special 4MB video card in it and I doubled the RAM to 16MB so I could play Quake and Nascar 2 back in the day. Thinking about resurrecting it someday to play Quake. Quake played pretty good on that old setup!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
Up on my desk above my right hand and above my large keyboard tray. I used to keep it on the right-hand side of the keyboard tray. But you can probably guess why I don't do that anymore. :D

Note how the finish is wore off on the desk. Shows that I drink too much coffee and spend too much time on the computer!


<img src=http://www.homepage.mac.com/userosx/.Pictures/desk.jpg>
I see the cat really did eat your logitech!!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
hey mow, i have the same mouse, with the ball thingy. i think it is pretty comfertable to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by craftsman-man
hey mow, i have the same mouse, with the ball thingy. i think it is pretty comfertable to use.
I've had it for a long time. It feels awkward using anything else.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
I have an old Pukeard Bell Pentium 75 in storage. It had some problems, and I probably gave up too easily trying to fix it. I had a special 4MB video card in it and I doubled the RAM to 16MB so I could play Quake and Nascar 2 back in the day. Thinking about resurrecting it someday to play Quake. Quake played pretty good on that old setup!
I still have all the computers I have ever owned up in my attic, and all still work.......First one I bought was a Timex, soon followed by a Epson 8086 and then Sperry 8087 with a whopping big 4 mg hard drive. Graduated to a Zenith 248 with a 10 mg hd and later to a Leading Edge 386 with a 40mb HD.....

IIRC I paid close to $4,500 for that Sperry along with a 10" mono monitor in amber, and a 9 pin dot matrix printer........times were simple then! HIt print, and go out and cut the grass and if you were lucky what you were printing was finished by the time the grass got cut......And then there was those color dot matrix printers, man they were the hot thing in their day........and had 27 pins for detail and graphics...WOW!. I think coputers and related equiopment is probably the only things that have ever come down in price and you actually get more bang for the buck than most anything else made today.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top