Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am tempted to buy this tractor but i cannot seem to find lots of info on it.

Is this a good unit for a 1.5 acre lot? Anyone with experience with this unit?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Welcome to Tractor Forum, doanh!

Sorry I dont know about that model tractor, but we have some very knolagable people here that I am shre can help you out.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
doanh
Welcome to TF!

What did you need to know? The ST series was made from 84-95. The ST120 you're looking at is probably from 86-87? Should be 12HP B&S.

If you go to www.sonnysbolens.com and click on manuals at the top of the page you will be taken to ST series and from there you can download a parts manual.

We have another member with an ST160. His name is boB. You may try emailing him for some first hand info. He posted about his tractor in the "what model do you own?" poll.

Most important questions are what is the overall condition of the tractor? Will it need any repairs before it can be used? How big is the deck? Is the 1.5 acres flat, hilly, all grass, partially wooded, etc?

Chances are the deck is 42" and should be able to handle 1.5 acres. The tractor in good condition is definately up to the task, but deck size will determine how long it will take to mow.

You haven't mentioned the price. It might be easier to offer an opinion knowing what else is available in the price range. If you have any concerns about parts, contact someone in the parts supplier thread, such as Ray's Mower and inquire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the owner is asking $500. The tractor works fine, it is stored inside most of the time.

Here in Michigan, our summers are limited so it is not heavily used.

As for my house, I lived on rolling hills so I am also concern about the engine capacity.

I will send it to the owner you recommended.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
doanh

12 HP in these old tractors will surprise you! Look through some of the threads here such as " what can a 1050 do?" and look at all the different attachments working off 10HP.

What's included for $500? Any attachments besides the deck?

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, $500 for tractor and cutting deck. I need to figure out if it is a 42 in deck or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
regarding the accessories like the snow plow and rear tiller. Is the tractor heavy enough for a snow plow? quite a few of my friends tell me that these tractors are not heavy enough for this kind of work.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
I think the tractor could probably handle a 6" snow on a typical driveway around 75-100 feet long with no problem. You would need to add weights and chains. I"m pretty sure that these were built pre-MTD, so are better built than the Bolens of today. I think the tiller would be no problem either, as it is only 26" wide. If you want to believe the GardenWay advertising of the time that these were made, they were touted as being very capable tractors. GardenWay had their faults, but their products were almost always able to match the claims (at least the ones I bought).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's only a 36 inch deck! I do not see how this could work for me.

any advice? lower price?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Well, just because it won't work for you doesn't necessarily mean less than $500 will work for him. It's worth a try if you really want that tractor.

The next logical step would be to see what $500 will buy(assuming that's your budget). You might find something better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought this unit because I am impressed with the build quality.

Now the question I have is where can I pick up some parts to upgrade this mower?

like larger wheels in the back for better pulling capacity and a larger cutting deck?

I have a spare 16 hp Vtwin B&S engine, would this engine fit into this tractor? I think the 12 hp on it is probably not enough.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
doanh

I'm not sure about larger wheels. I would hold off on any wheel size changes until you get the deck you want. There may be clearance issues with larger wheels. I know sometimes just swapping to AG's one size larger than OEM will cause the tires to rub on the edge of the deck in the raised position.

You can buy an NOS deck from [email protected] A simpler and possibly cheaper solution, (sonny's isn't giving anything away!) might be a tow behind mower set off to the side working with your 38" deck. You could increase your cutting area to 80"-90".

I suggest you try the 12HP and see how it goes. The 16HP won't necessarily mean faster speed. Most tractors operate in and around the same MPH range regardless of engine size. Like I said earlier these old engines have much more torque than the new ones.

I don't know how many upgrades you can make on this tractor. "Upgrade" assumes the options were available when new. There probably was a choice between a 38" or 42" deck, maybe AG tires instead of turf, other than that I don't you'd find too many options w/o going up the model line to an ST 140 or ST 160.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the wisdom.

I am only hoping to upgrade to a 48 inch deck, nothing larger.

As for power, the B&S I have is back from the 1980. This it is even older than the current engine in this Bolens.

I will look into the tires you recommended. You are probably right about the interference. Although I do see larger tires in the other Bolens tractor that uses the same chassis as the ST120.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
For cutting grass, your 12 HP should be fine. I can't see any problem worth swapping out a good running engine for. And the 16 twin you have will sure use more gas to do the same work. At $2 a gallon, that is something to consider.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live on 1.5 acre of rolling hills. I also use this tractor to pull my garden cart around.

When pulling the garden cart, this my concern for more power. Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier.

I use the garden cart 17 cu ft to pull dirt, branches, etc..

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
I still don't forsee a problem with the 12 hp engine, even pulling a cart, unless you plan on hauling 2000 plus pounds up and down steep slopes, in which case, you should worry more about your brakes than HP. I think you will be surprised at the power that 12 hp will give you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts