Tractor Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to the forum. I have owned a 3 cylinder Bolens G154 with a loader since the early 90's. The original clutch lasted over 20 years. However the last two clutch repairs have only lasted about 5 years. The first one resulted in cracked fingers on the pressure plate from over adjusting the clutch travel. The second one only lasted a year. There was a howling sound coming from the bell housing when the machine was used for several hours. We split the tractor today and found a groove worn in the face of the throw out bearing.You can definitely see that the bearing was rubbing on the fingers. The fingers are barely worn with no sharp edges.
I think the bearing got overheated from turning all the time. When I opened the inspection port on the side of the bell housing I could spin the bearing freely but it was very close to the fingers.(Tractor still together and clutch at rest)
When the tractor was split we could slide the entire bearing and yoke assembly about 1/2 inch back and forth along the input shaft. There was no tension holding the bearing away from the pressure plate.
I got my clutch parts from Jeffcube on E-Bay. He replaced the throw out bearing for free and said there should be about a 1/4 inch space between the bearing and the fingers.Do you have to adjust the fingers on the PP to get some space between the bearing and the fingers?
Not sure how to accomplish that with all the travel the yoke and bearing fork had in the bell housing when we split the tractor.

I will attach some pictures. Hopefully someone who has successfully replaced the clutch can give me some tips. Thank you!
P Plate 2.jpg
TO bearing.jpg

1 - 1 of 1 Posts