Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guys im new here and heard good feedback from this tractor forum so i hope you can help me solved my bolens problem, first of all it is a 5120H with the 20hp kohler engine and hydraulic hi/low rear end i think its a eaton 11... just bought this tractor from a guy who could not get it to run, I fixed the engine problem but now the tractor doesn't seem to want to move it barely moves seems like it as low oil pressure or something so i changed the trans oil and oil filter with recomended oil from manual and it seems to have help a bit but still wont move. also power steering seams slow too

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On an Eaton11, you can hook a hydraulic gauge up to check the charge pump pressure. The connection point is at the filter base. Page 14 - figure 18 in the PDF below

https://www.toro.com/getpub/6888
Great im gonna chek on that do you matter to know what size fitting i need to test thru that port ?
On an Eaton11, you can hook a hydraulic gauge up to check the charge pump pressure. The connection point is at the filter base. Page 14 - figure 18 in the PDF below

https://www.toro.com/getpub/6888

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe it's 1/4 NPT..... Look for a pipe plug on the outboard side of the filter base. I believe charge pump pressure is 30-90 PSI, check the manual to be sure.
Ok little update , looked for the plug to put the oil gauge in but theres nothing. I took the oil filter base out and seen no plug at all and all hose are jic . Is it ok if i just use a t connector on the filter to test ? Also do i test on the inlet or outlet of the filter ?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright took a reading of the charge pump and i get 20psi on the gauge... but when i take the pressure gauge out theres some air pressure that commes out ... is there a way to bleed the system of air ? Maybe that what cause me troubles ??

·
145 Posts
Possible the shaft seal is leaking and letting air in. Do see where the cooling fan is on the drive shaft? Behind that fan is the pump. Grab ahold of the shaft by that universal joint and see if you can wiggle that shaft up or down or side to side. If you can than that's probably where your air is getting into the pump. Many times those universal joints don't ever get greased and the shaft starts to wobble which takes out the bearing and seal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Possible the shaft seal is leaking and letting air in. Do see where the cooling fan is on the drive shaft? Behind that fan is the pump. Grab ahold of the shaft by that universal joint and see if you can wiggle that shaft up or down or side to side. If you can than that's probably where your air is getting into the pump. Many times those universal joints don't ever get greased and the shaft starts to wobble which takes out the bearing and seal.
alright i just checked and there is a small play in the shaft end where the fan is ... it might me just the problem ... are they rebuildable ? Im gonna take it out and chek it out .. are the parts hard to find ?

·
145 Posts
are they rebuildable ?
The seals were a common size but I can't remember what there is for a bushing or bearing in there. Been a long time ago but I think you just unbolt the front of the charge pump and slide it off the shaft. Try not to pull the shaft out of the pump.
Search for a parts breakdown. My book went with the last one I sold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The seals were a common size but I can't remember what there is for a bushing or bearing in there. Been a long time ago but I think you just unbolt the front of the charge pump and slide it off the shaft. Try not to pull the shaft out of the pump.
Search for a parts breakdown. My book went with the last one I sold.
Alright i took appart the cover of the charge pump there is a seal in the cap but is the shaft supposed to kove forward and backwards? Mine as a about 1/4" of loose

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good question and I don't have an answer. From memory I wouldn't think so. 1/4" sounds like a lot.
Took the pump out and replaced the seals ... they where no signs of wear or broken pieces ... so i put it back on the tractor ... now before i start it and try it again is there any way i can bleed the system to make shure there is no air trapt inside the system ??

·
145 Posts
I don't recall having to purge the air. Like I said it's been many years. If you lubed things during assembly you should be fine. Is the Bolens in where it's warm?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.