Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to look at a 1225 tonight. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to buy it. The engine is out of it and torn apart right now. It's got a bent governor shaft that needs to be replaced. Everything is there and looks real good. This tractor has a hydrolic lift on it. I've never really payed much attention to the 1225's because I'm not that interested in the hydrostatic drive. It looks to me like the hydrolic lift came standard on these. Is this correct?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure hydraulic lift was standard equipment on all hydrostatic units. The nice thing about the 1225 is the wisconsin tra-12d engine rather than the tecumseh in the 1220 which was the 6spd version. The 1225 also has the locking hub on the l/r wheel like the gear models.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I like those Wisconsin engines. I just prefer the gear jammers. Oh well, I should know tomorrow if I'm getting it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Aguysmiley
You already have what, 3 or 4 gear jobs? Try something a little different! You know variety is the spice of life!:D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I certainly wouldn't have a problem with owning more, but I'm looking at a big move in my near future. I was pretty sure we'd be able to do it in two trips. If I buy this one...I don't know. Maybe I can squeeze one of them on the trailer with my car. Any more after this one will require a third trip for sure.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know. Haven't found a place yet. My girlfriend is getting a promotion which involves moving. We're waiting to see what happens first.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I brought it home today. I just couldn't find it in me to say no. $125 and it came with ag tires, 42" deck, and a professionaly rebuilt starter/generator. I believe once I have the governor fixed it should run and drive. I'll try to get some pics this weekend. Planning on buying a digital camera.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me. :thumbsup:

Have fun, and remember to think responsibly when determining
if and when to buy another tractor.
:lmao:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This one makes five. I think I'm going to cut down on the "hoarding" for a while, and try to get some of them up and running. By the way, anybody know how to disengage an eaton 10 so you can push it?. I can't find anything in my books, and I don't see anything on the tractor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have no idea how to disengage a hydro. I am a gear guy myself. I am glad to see you bought it. So what is an extra trip? What do you mean by bent governor shaft? Is that the shaft that is pressed into the block?
Mark

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, it's the shaft that goes into the crankcase. There's a metal tab on the inside of the shaft that rides against the flyweights. Well, the screw that holds that tab on is broke, and that shaft is bent inside of the case. It really shouldn't be that difficult to fix, as long as I can still get parts.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
:ditto: To sixchows recommendation of Bob Fenn.
He has been a tremendous help to me with my 1250 project.
The guy really knows Bolens tractors :thumbsup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool. Thanks for the advise guys. So far I've had good luck getting wisconsin parts from a local farm and lawn place. I've got some parts on order with them for my 8 horse right now. I'm going to check with them on the parts for the 12 horse tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts