Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Shouldn't be too bad. You may need a torch as the body bolts may be rusted. The bed should come off easy enough just make sure you have enough help don't get caught under it. The cab will need a little more effort as you'll need to disconnect the steering column and brake lines, wiring harness, radiator and consenser if it has a/c, tranny linkage and clucth linkage if not automatic. If any of the body bolts should break don't get scared just take an air chisel and open a flap in the floor above the broken ones and replacle the nut as you remount the body then just weld and refinish the floor. When using a torch make sure anything flammable is out of the way and have a fire extinguisher,sand buckets and a water hose nearby and and turned on. If your using the torch under the truck be the carpet or mat and seats are removed and have someone watch from the inside for any seam sealer or something that may ignite. As you seperate the frame go slowly and be sure nothing is holding it. Try to remove the gas tank and be sure the gas lines are dry and seperated and avoid these areas with the torch when possible. If you must use the torch near a disconnected gas line be sure to wrap the end of the line with a dripping wet towel, you can always blow out any water later. Use all new hardware for the mounts when you replace the body and adjust the distances between the frame and body equally on both sides before you tighten everything down fully.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Also to add to his list..

Make sure to check all the frame brackets that hold the body. A lot of them tend to rust, and are a REAL PITA to get to with the body on.

Don't go with to big of a body lift. I would keep it about 2". Any more and you will run into a ton of mods needed.

Wile not that hard, it IS a big project. Make sure you give yourself time to do it. Not something you want to start on a friday night, and have to drive monday morning.

Remember with a body lift, becouse the body's higher, it will be putting more leverage on the body mounts, frame mounts, and hardwere. Make sure they are all good.

Remember, anything that mounts to bolth the body, and the frame will have to be modafided. Steering collom, break lines, rad hoeses, linkedges, fuel filler, etc. Not a HUGE deal, just be ready for it.

Now I assume it is a 4WD right? Just remember a body lift will only do one thing for you off road. Give you tire clearance. Also I know a lifted truck stands out , but a lower center of gratvty is MUCH nicer to have when you go out on a trail, and have to deal with a side hill or two. If you plan to USE the truck, a suspension lift is the way to go. Ya more costly, but with it it will WORK better. So if you want to run some bigger tires,[ie 33's or bigger] a small 1, or 2" body lift, and a 3"suspension lift would be awsome. Start getting into 35's and a little saborsaw mods to the wheelwells, would be better then another inch of body lift.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Suspension lift is much easier. The only thing that might not be supplied in the kit are lines to extend the brakes. Also look for a drop steering arm rather than any spacer block, but a block will be ok too. You may need to lower the transfer case or set it at angle to avoid eating u-joints in the future but not hard to do. Do a search for 4x4 lift kits such as rancho, there should be many choices.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The axle pivot would be a wise choice. When lifted it might tend to drift and wander, anything that will bring steering geometry and alignment back as close to OEM would be good choices. When I added a rancho 4" lift to my K5 blazer, the shocks came with it. But I needed a seperate steering block and brake lines. Check some other manufacturers. Also pick up a 4x4 magazine in a newstand. There will be many advertisers in there with competitive prices on the same kits. Also look into a steering stabizer setup, usually a shock or two mounted horizontally under the front axle. It really keeps the steering wheel from moving too fast to either side like if you hit a puddle of water at speed.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the help guys. also if I put on a suspension lift could I put on a small body lift too? or is that bad idea.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
thanks for the help guys. also if I put on a suspension lift could I put on a small body lift too? or is that bad idea.
Oh ya, that would be fine. Just don't go crazy unless you are running like 44's on it or something.:D

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay now guys dont laugh. Would it be feasible to put a 9-12 inch lift in a F-150? and YES ik it would be expensive IK it would take alot of modification. IK that stuff lol. I was just wondering what would you need to modify to do something like that? drive shafts steering? How difficult would this be?
Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
9-12" hmmmm OK to start here is what you do.

Get rid of the IRS, and swap in a Dana 60 front axle.

Loose the 8.8, or 9" rear and go with a 60,70, or other one ton axle.

Custom springs, custom drive shafts, and a boat load of sterring mods.

Find a nice 460, becouse no WAY a small block will move those tires.

Will need a new trany, and Tcase to live more then a few miles.

Oh and about 8 hundred more things.

Good luck, and better you, then me.:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
BTW if you are eaven THINKING of that kinda lift, sell the 150, and find a nice F250, or 350 that has a straight axle front end. It will be WAY cheaper, and most of your mods will already be done.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Get??? nowere. All self fab man:D :D

You get into that kind of Mods, you are self fabbing everything.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts