Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one sure way to get hurt working on these tractors we love so much is by using unsafe blocking. I was just on a post by Shutt showing the progress he is making on his 8N and I picked up on his use of a concrete block to hold his axle while the wheel is off. Concrete blocks are a definate NO! NO! They WILL crumble when you least expect it., and most guys will use them with the sides of the block up and down and that only makes them even weaker. If you absolutely have to use one at least stand it in the direction they are meant to be installed and put a piece of two by six on top then you will have half a chance of getting out alive. I keep a pile of cut offs 6x6"s and4x4"s stacked up in the corner of my shop and that is alll I will use.
One time I was working on the brakes on an old pick-up truck I had. I had both rear wheels off and the truck blocked solidly on concrete blocks. It was hot out and I went in the house for something to drink. On my way back out I watched one of the blocks explode from that little bit of weight and got hit in the forehead with about a three inch chunk as it flew out at me.. A good knot on the head cured me. I never use blocks for anything except building walls.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Good, Smart common sense advice slipshod:thumbsup: People have been killed by using them...You would think others would learn from someone elses tragedy.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
For some reason most people think it wont happen to them...ha Ha..It seems that the school of hard knocks is their learning curve....

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Way back in another lifetime, I remember (I'm sure Ernie remembers this) a fellow blocking up a lift truck with 8x8 timbers under the tires. The ground clearance on this cushion tire lift truck was about 4"....to make a long sad story short, the lift truck rolled off the blocks and crushed the poor sap to death...I'm pretty sure he didn't know what hit him...What amazes me is that the company who owned the lift truck called Clark Equipment for a service man the very next day...that service man was yours truly...I thought the unit had a transmission oil leak until I discovered it was blood...The bastards didn't have the decency of even cleaning up the unit before calling someone else in...Needless to say I called for it to be hauled in to our shop and I told their supervisor to have it cleaned up before our truck driver got there...The name of the company was Commodity
Steel...this happened about 30 years ago but the name has always stuck with me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts