Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man this sucks. I am away on a business trip and my laptop gets the Blaster Worm virus. I just got it fixed today but lost use of the internet on my computer for a week. What a drag. I have Norton but it couldn't keep it from shuting down my computer. Is there a better anti-virus program that I need to install?? Norton didn't make the grade.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
John
I have one of those worms also, thought I had gotten rid of it the other day but seems to be back. Did your computer keep shutting down and restarting? I found a way to keep it on, tap the F8 key when the screen goes dark, you should get a menu with safe mode at the top. Click on safe mode then click on run and change the settings to take no action this will keep the computer on so you can run Norton. Make sure Norton is updated. I use AVG also seems to catch more. I think ducatti had a link here somewhere. I would like to find a way to get rid of it though, but at least I can work around it for now as long as I run AVG at least once a day.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
symantec's norton antivirus wil keep blasterworm out as long as you keep it updated and put on an automatic update schedule -- I manage to keep most such garbage out by NOT using MS outlook - I simply send thru hotmail -- it has limitations - but the little jerks are all attacking MS outlook as that is what most business cutomers of MS are using-- have you tried a different browser? opera perhaps ? an alternate pc using linux perhaps? always some spoiled kid who needs his butt kicked by his old man who ends up doing this-- too much tv and not enough real time with decent parents and not nearly enough spankings when little

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I use both Norton and AVG that I downloaded from that link that duc posted and both are up to date. Even went to msn and updated my computer from there with software that was supposed to prevent it from coming back, but it's still here.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Sixchows and Johnyray13,

Sometimes safe mode helps once you know where the file is residing on your hard drive. Norton and AVG give directions as well depending on virus...

You must have the latest 2004 version from either of these guys to be effective IMHO....along with Zone Alarm..

Also try Adware 6.0 its freeware and really does a good job cleaning spyware off your machine- its free also...

I dont post serial numbers anymore, but can supply something to get you going if you are in a pinch...

Duc

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Duc
I downloaded the free AVG from your last post and when I run it I have anywhere up to 17 infected files which it says are cured by healing. Norton is also updated but sometimes finds nothing. Then I run AVG and it finds and cures them a few hours later if I run it again it says the same. But the computer seems to be working ok, no trouble with not responding files or system shutting down. From what I remember it looked like it was the same file over and over but with different #'s at end.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Originally posted by sixchows
Duc
I downloaded the free AVG from your last post and when I run it I have anywhere up to 17 infected files which it says are cured by healing. Norton is also updated but sometimes finds nothing. Then I run AVG and it finds and cures them a few hours later if I run it again it says the same. But the computer seems to be working ok, no trouble with not responding files or system shutting down. From what I remember it looked like it was the same file over and over but with different #'s at end.

You dont need 2 anitvirus proggy's running at the same time. Just choose which one you like best but make sure they are 2004 versions..I also PM'd you with some helpful programs if you dont have them already...

What OS are you running? if XP turn off system restore than run antivirus or safe mode until all gone. After that turn back on restore

Duc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts