Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
id thought that GM has been putting the 'black boxes' in new cars for a while now.. or maybe justtheir upper priced cars..
but apparenlty they will be in ALL new cars now..see link
druge link to fox article on black boxes in new cars

personally i think its an incvasion of my privacy and a way for insurance companies to fight claims... ie speeding prior to a crash or whatever...

sort of just another case of 'big brother' is watching us..

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
So can these things be removed and still allow the car to run?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
My question exactly Joe! It would seem to me that there would be some way to disable or remover it. At the very least it should be made law that the device can ONLY be used for safety data gathering and NOT for use by insurance companies or the courts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
My question exactly Joe! It would seem to me that there would be some way to disable or remover it. At the very least it should be made law that the device can ONLY be used for safety data gathering and NOT for use by insurance companies or the courts.
That would be nice, but I think they will pass a law making it illegal for us to tamper with these devices.

I heard a while back that they are using GPS systems in europe to control your speed. The GPS is connected to a governor and won't let you go faster than the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
497 Posts
GM has been using them for a while and disguising them as "On-Star".

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
It will not take long bfore you can read how to disable thee boxes on a website somewhere..............when there is a will there is a way..........I probably will never wory about it though as I think I have bought my last car and truck for a long long time..........I don't put many miles on a year anymore and I certainly do not care about keeping up with the Jones (sorry if anyones last name here is Jones, its just a figure of speach commonly used)

My wife works for Winn-Dixie a major food chain here in the south, and its common practice for the head honchos to monitor trucks everyday with devices they have installed that can pin point a truck with X amount of feet, and download data in regards to speeds reached, times at idle, times vehicle was shsifter improperly etc etc etc. The list is endless, and W/D drivers are routinely getting fired or suspended for infractions...........yet the line never seems to end with new drivers applying for a job..............Nothing like setting back in a nice cozy office and micro manageing or playaing gestapo with your emplyees indiscretely by way of satellite hookups etc.............

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Think about something for a minute. Years ago in the event of a serious or fatal accident the police would measure skid marks to determine how fast the cars were going. With the introduction of 4 wheel ABS skid marks are usually non existent.

If someone broadsided you and injured you or a family member, don't you think a black box confirming the speed would help your case. I'd rather a reliable instrument verify the other guy was going 100MPH than have his lawyers shoot down the expert theories of what the speed actually was.

Conversly, if someone tried to sue you by saying you were driving erratically and/or speeding wouldn't you want the box to defend yourself?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by sixchows
Think about something for a minute. Years ago in the event of a serious or fatal accident the police would measure skid marks to determine how fast the cars were going. With the introduction of 4 wheel ABS skid marks are usually non existent.

If someone broadsided you and injured you or a family member, don't you think a black box confirming the speed would help your case. I'd rather a reliable instrument verify the other guy was going 100MPH than have his lawyers shoot down the expert theories of what the speed actually was.

Conversly, if someone tried to sue you by saying you were driving erratically and/or speeding wouldn't you want the box to defend yourself?
NOPE! I DON'T want "Comrade Big Brother" sticking his nose into my personal business. They are as unconstitutional as radar and lasar traffic speed monitoring devices. You can't cross examine them in court so they should NOT be allowed. Why not just put radar/laser gun camera's on every street corner:question:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Chief
You might be too late!! I think "comrad big brother" has been watching for some time. Look at things like "easypass", they know when you cross a bridge or toll booth on the highway, and when you come back. Do you think onstar or lojak can't tell the authorities where or when you went someplace?

What about traffic cameras at stop lights? Security cameras outside office buildings? Don't forget the "traffic' cameras along the highways that the news channels use on cable traffic reports.

I know you're thinking I'm a pyscho that should put some tin foil in my hat, but in reality I don't really pay any attention to any of it. The only cameras I look out for are the red light cameras.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
something like is already used im some federal government vehicles-- to track etc. on thos e the gps system and info device cannot be removed without causing vehicle shutdown- the insurance companies want this to be in everyone's car/truck -- it will save them money by showing who realy does what-- small changes to the laws will allow [ already in a bill supposedly as a portion of the soon to be expanded patriot act] ; small changes wil allow the insurance comanies to charge HUGE amounts for drivers who demonstrate risky behaviours. and to deny coverage to the habitual offenders -- drunken drivers driving for years will become a thing of the past, and so wil getting a B---job from the girlfriend in the front seat while going down onI-55--

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
bigl22

That's another thing I forgot! Many fleet vehicles already have tracking devices so they see when the vehicles are parked or moving. If parked too long they can determine where they are parked. Had a shop on my route a few years ago installing these systems. Drivers couldn't use traffic jams as an excuse or drive the vehicles around to run personal errands.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Interesting list. I see my 99 Tahoe is on it. Another interesting fact is they been in use since '94 on some vehicles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts