Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so whats everybody doing for the 4th?

My sister is renting a camp on a lake in southern maine.. only 15-20 minutes from me

I just got my boat going and plan to bring it there for the next week or so... its nice not to have to trailer the boat - not that its big or anything just its nice to have it sitting in the water and ready for me when i get there..

we'll do the usual family cookout thing on Sunday.. & fireworks ect..

And as for work.. im gonna sand and paint my garage floor some time this weekend..

anybody doing anything exciting??

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well im off Fri and Mon, im just going to take it easy and hope for no rain.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Special events

Hi,

Went to The Tatoo the Tatoo last night for our Anniversary (30). The video link on this page will give you a rough idea what it was like.

The last time we went the USMC Band was there and it was a tossup whether they or the Japanese Air Force Band were the best. This year there weren't any American groups, I suppose because of Iraq, so the Royal Air Force Drill team were the cream of the crop. Unbelieveable what they did - 150 guys precision marching with guys peeling off in formation and re-forming, including firing a volley or two, and nobody even a flicker out of step.

Tomorrow we'll watch the parade for the first of July and go up the coast to Wallace for the fireworks. Aside from that we'll be busy here.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
I am on assignment for newspaper (taking pics of festival and fireworks) for Saturday afternoon and evening ---- Off on Monday too, now I just wish for SUN, SUN, SUN from Friday to Tuesday so that I can work on my property all day Monday! Yeah, like that will happen.

:furious: :furious: :furious:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Cookin out, and fireworks of course!!!

I have the green light to spend up to 100 smackers american on fireworks! Woooo Hoooo!

Any ideas?

Add in there, working around the kingdom and swimming if it doesn't rain!:cheers:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we dont sell fireworks in maine.. they do in NH.. but our sneaky police are actually monitoring folks in NH with maine plates and following them over the border... and then stopping them..

im glad i bought mine last year..

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Why no pyro toys in Maine? Scare away the bears or it might catch the fishermen's grimey beards on fire?

HAHAHA

·
Registered
129 Posts
We shoot guns mid-day, clean them and put them away, that's about when the keg is cold enough to tap. I always make my favorite kabobs with chicken, pineapple, onion and peppers, we call them hawaiian. At dusk we go up to the highest point on the property and look east to the mainland and watch all the people shoot fireworks into the Puget Sound. Been doing it for years and it's always safe and fun!

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
freebird, really? you guys shoot guns off? like an iraqi wedding?

thats cool....

the kabobs sound pretty good too.

Andy dont know why the strict laws? probably too many woods and too many dumb asses to burn them down with stray fireworks...

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
For several years we went to our local AAA baseball park and watched a good game followed by great fireworks. This year, because the 4th is a Sunday with the following day off for the holiday, the game sold out early. There were over 12,000 people there last year for a minor league game on the 4th. Some major league teams don't draw that many people on a night game. So since I have no tickets, we are going over to a friend's house and eat Filipino food all day, and watch the kids get into trouble:D There will be around 10 married couples there and we ALL have Filipina wives. It will be a good day with great food.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I expect to spend a little time admiring the fresh new flag I usually display each time we have a special occasion, and thinking about what it means to live in such a great country. I quietly fly a flag every day of the year.

Then, I'll say a little prayer for the morons who illegally shoot off fireworks with no understanding of why or what problems they are causing for other people. I know... they'll just suggest shooting my beloved dog who is terrified of those loud noises, and destroys property as a result, but some day they'll maybe have one and understand. I wish those morons could keep the unwelcome sound over at their place.

Isn't this fun?

Then We'll go into preparation mode for the next tractor show... at Greenville. OH.

George Willer

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Goerge, I do need to go and pick up a new flag. Mine has to be retired it is a little threadbare!

What brand have you had good luck with?:usaflag:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Originally posted by Stewart
Thanks for the reminder Goerge, I do need to go and pick up a new flag. Mine has to be retired it is a little threadbare!

What brand have you had good luck with?:usaflag:
The brand has less to do with it than how fresh it is. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to how long they last.

Most family members know it is important to me, so I usually get my new ones for gifts on special occasions. Works good two ways... they never know what to get the old geezer otherwise.

George Willer

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I just thought maybe there was a brand that lasted longer than others. The sun is real hard on fabric and stitching. Good idea to ask for a flag as a gift!! Thanks George!:D

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
George,
I whole heartedly agree with you about illegal fireworks. Some of my mutant neighbors start setting the stuff off in mid June and it lasts half the summer at all hours of the day and night. I have even had to pickup the spent cases out of my lawn and off my roof. I don't play with the stuff, and much rather go to a legal show and watch the pros do it. As for your poor dog, can you turn up the stereo with come classical music on it? or does he hear it anyway? I'll pray for you to have a quiet day.

My loving wife got a couple of flags as gifts when she recently got her U.S. citizenship. Watching and helping her go through the proccess makes me appreciate how good we have it here. Most native born American citizens would fail the test that immigrants have to pass. I'd like very much to fly a flag outside at my house, but the same mutant neighbors think anything outside is theirs to take or damage. I haven't caught them on video yet, but the day will come when I can hand over a tape to the arresting officer and soon after see a "For Sale" sign on their house. There will be a celebration in the neighborhood that day.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Off the wall question -----

How I am supposed to properly and respectful dispose of faded/weathered flags? Just toss em out in the trash or is there a better method? I know this might seem a little petty to some who would say, "Toss it and forget it" but I was just curious to see if there was indeed a more revered manner of disposal.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by admin

How I am supposed to properly and respectful dispose of faded/weathered flags? Just toss em out in the trash or is there a better method? I know this might seem a little petty to some who would say, "Toss it and forget it" but I was just curious to see if there was indeed a more revered manner of disposal.

Thanks
Andy
Proper ettiquette is to burn the flag. No landfill, no quilts, no dew-rags, just burning.

So much for that guy that wanted to outlaw burning flags!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Originally posted by admin

Thanks
Andy
Andy,

My Grandson was here to help me replace the flag. He helped me to properly fold the old one. Then we started a fire in the burner and when it was going good, dropped the flag in respectfully. I think it was proper disposal and was a good lesson for Adam.

George Willer

·
Registered
183 Posts
Originally posted by balmoralboy
Proper ettiquette is to burn the flag. No landfill, no quilts, no dew-rags, just burning.

So much for that guy that wanted to outlaw burning flags!
The key to proper burning is respectfully. Burning the flag as part of a demonstration can hardly be considered respectful. It SHOULD be illegal.

George Willer

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
If illegal then how would you dispose then? I thought burning was correct, but I didn't know. I hadn't planned on cutting it up for clean-up rags for my workshop --- but that is a thought.

Just kidding.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts