Tractor Forum banner

big case steamer

5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  caseman-d 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Very well done farmallmaniac. You have found some great pictures and sites. I suppose we will have to change your name to casemaniac :) :D :) :D :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .
Keep up the good work. I will have to see if I have any pictures of our clubs Case steamer.

:spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile :tractorsm

Attachments

#10 ·
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
I wonder how much HP that big steamer has?
Ryan
A few examples
10x10 carried a rating of 20 nominal hp with a brake output of 50 hp.
6x8 listed as 6 hp
7x10 listed as 10 hp
71/2x10 as 12 hp

Straw burners were offered as 12-16 hp

I never realized Case made so many models of steam engine traction types.
It seams on the 1900's as 65 and 75 hps were popular. Looks as if a 110 was also popular are there are a few of them left. Upon futher reading in my 150 Years of JI Case I see where they made a 150 hp Case Road Locomotive. It goes on futher to say that they have all been scrapped. Some where shipped back to the factory , conerted to portable or stationary engines and placed back into the fields. Sadly, not one of the nine 150 hp engines still exists today.

For anyone interested I would recommend 150 Years of JI.Case by C.H. Wendal. This book can be found on ocasion on ebay and I was also infomed to check Amazon Books for copies, you won't regret getting it.
caseman-d
:spinsmile :tractorsm :spinsmile :tractorsm :spinsmile :tractorsm :tractorsm

#12 ·
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
why were they all scrapped?:cry:
Ryan
The reason for scraping them was there was a problem with the gearing. The Road Locomotive had two forward gears, 2.6 mph and 5.69 mph. Case did not build this as a double-geared engine, since the demand for this 4000.00 engine simply was not sufficient to warrant futher expensnse in developing it.
caseman-d

#13 ·
Originally posted by aegt5000
Caseman-d and farmallmaniac…
Thanks for the great pictures and site links.
I really enjoyed the info on farming history and the evolution
of methods and machinery.
aegt5000

Thanks for the compliment. Always like to hear we are providing the readers something new and interesting. Farmallmaniac and jbetts have really been finding good information and sites. Anyone else finds a site please feel free to post it. Keep up the good work all.
caseman-d

:spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile spinsmile :spinsmile :tractorsm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.