Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I had the shortsightedness to take on a project with a Bernard engine on some kind of a French rail grinder (leave it to your local gov't subsidised transit authority to buy a piece of equipment with no North American distribution, eh?).

Has anyone here ever worked on a Bernard engine? Any suggestions as far as parts sources? All I need is a head gasket, which looks like a common gasket from say an older Robin or Kohler engine, but how to get from what I have to what I need is the thing. Any help would be hugely appreciated at this point.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you to Tractor Forum! :friends: :cheers: Great to have you aboard. I will have to do some researching and get back to you on this. Hopefully I can find something. In the mean time please join right in and have a look around!

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
:ditto: Welcome servicewriter:friends: if anyone can find it Chief can i have never heard of this motor brand.
Jody

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

...to you both for the warm welcome. I did find some info. on this engine. It seems there is a North American distributor for the Geismar rail grinder the engine powers. I left them a voicemail requesting a callback on parts pricing and availability for the engine. Maybe they'll call me. Thanks again for the welcome and for the attention to my inquiry.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by servicewriter
Hello all. I had the shortsightedness to take on a project with a Bernard engine on some kind of a French rail grinder (leave it to your local gov't subsidised transit authority to buy a piece of equipment with no North American distribution, eh?).

Has anyone here ever worked on a Bernard engine? Any suggestions as far as parts sources? All I need is a head gasket, which looks like a common gasket from say an older Robin or Kohler engine, but how to get from what I have to what I need is the thing. Any help would be hugely appreciated at this point.
Thanks.
servicewriter, this is at least a start. It is the website for Bernard in France. Try the email link and see if they can direct you to an American distributor. I will post more info. as I find it.

click here

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Not sure if I was much help but you are indeed very welcome. Let us know what you come up with. I spent hours searching and that is about all I could come up with. I could not find any USA or Canda distributors. Hopefully, the guys in France can put you in touch with someone that can help you out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I actually...

...came up with quite a bit. This Bernard engine is unlike any I've seen, except the newer little four-strokes that are replacing the two-stroke blower engines. This Bernard, it seems, can be operated as either a vertical or a horizontal shaft. It has no external throttle linkage. It appears to be linked to the governor inside the case. It has a Solex bowl style carb. that can be operated at different angles ninety degrees apart. I'm really very curious as to what it looks like and how it all operates inside. As the the equipment it powers, there is a company that makes a competitive machine powered by US Motor Power two-stroke. They offer a kit to retrofit their engine in place of the Bernard, because the Bernard cannot meet EPA specs, and, I guess, the US Motor Power engine doesn't have to. The Bernard website was good. Their engine looks a lot like an older pre K1 Honda GX type engine. The one I have must be an older model. It's L-head, not OHV. Still wish I could get a look inside this thing, or at an IPL, just to see what kind of lubrication system they've dreamed up to make it work at any angle.
Thanks for your interest, folks.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
servicewriter, what exactly is a rail grinder and what does it do/used for? You have my curiosity peaked now. ;) :D Sounds like you are going to go with the American retrofit 2 stroke engine? If you get a chance and have the camera, a picture would be great to get an idea of what this machine looks like. Glad you were able to find something to help. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What we have decided to do is...

...have a shop we found custom make us a head gasket from solid copper (sheet, I'm guessing), which they want $80.00 to do. This is within the customers budget and everyone should be happy.

A $80.00 head gasket...(shakes head and walks away)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
servicewriter -- that is NOT a bad price for a one-of custom head gasket -- as long as single layer copper alloy gasket materials work -- but since it is an older french engine with no doubt low end gasket pressurization levels -- probably ok . this rail grinder -- it rides ON the rails and profile grinds as a regular maintenence tool? for replacement rail sections? or only for new installations?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, on the rails...

...This is a hand operated tool, with a gearbox directly transmitting power to a large what appears to be a cup-grinder. My understanding is that it is a maintenance tool. It's used by our local transit authority on a light-rail transit system. The operator was telling me when he picked it up that it's not really designed for the application they use it for(embedded rails), but they manage to make it work somehow. It's about 16 years old, he says, and may have been purchased second-hand back then. I really learned a lot on this one, which is what I consider one of the benifits of my job. It's always a learning experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The custom-made...

...head gasket, I'm sure, will work out fine. No reason I can think of it wouldn't. Support from the Bernard website? Well, it's all in French. It was interesting to see their product and the worldwide distribution they enjoy, except, of course, in the USA. The small air-cooled industrial engine they currently market is OHV and looks suspiciously like an early model Honda GX series, pre-K1 version. It's almost an exact copy as far as I could see from the photos.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts