Tractor Forum banner
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  FredM 
#1 ·
Hey everyone newbie here,

I’m having some issues hopefully one of you more experienced guys may help out with. My riding mower keeps kicking the belt off and chewing it up. After taking videos of it I found that the problem originates from the tensioner pulley. My tension adjustment is currently maxed out and I have tried just flipping the L bracket around which gives it too much tension and activates the PTO. Either way the belt still gets kicked off.

In an attempt to help the issue I have replaced all pulleys, and spindles. But it still kicks the belt off and chews it up, belt will often be hot to the touch and same goes for the pulleys. Not sure what’s next.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
your problem is the idler pulley that is facing down, blue arrow, this should be either level or have a slight rise to the front, check the bracket, bolt or mount and see if these are bent, have a look at your deck and see if the belt is rubbing on the bar marked with the yellow arrow.

Does the left hand spindle pulley lean down on the inside?, this should be level, and the smaller idler pulley beside the right hand spindle pulley, is this lower that both spindle pulleys?, if it is, then it should be level with both spindle pulleys.

Hood Automotive lighting Gramophone record Tool Cookware and bakeware

#3 ·
Honestly a small part of me was wondering why that pulley was angled so hard. This was a mower I got last month and have fixed quite a bit of issues with it, I wouldn’t be surprised if the bracket got bent. As far as I can tell the left hand pulley is leveled but I’ll take a closer look at it tomorrow. I also ordered a new tensioning cable/spring in hopes of that helping the situation as well. I wish there was a way to share my video of it on here because after more observation I noticed the tensioning pulley arm swings back and forth a bit upon activation of the PTO, it is typically the tipping point for knocking the belt loose. Thinking maybe the spring is weak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.