Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

An acquaintance is offering me a Belarus 310 36 horse diesel 4wd with loader tractor for free. He said everything worked on it the last time he drove it (8-9 years ago!) but that it had some kind of a ground issue. It has been outside for a good while and looks it. I have a local guy who does all the mechanical work for all the equipment at a local farm and nursery who says he's happy to take a look and is familiar with positive ground machines. I am pretty handy having spent the last 10 years managing a farm with lots of equipment that I did all the maintenance on, but I'm good with having someone more qualified than I to take a look as I am in the midst of homesteading 5 acres and I'm busy! Everyone says parts will be hard to find. It seems silly to pass this up, even if I throw 1-2k at it and it comes to nothing it's work the risk I think, but I'm curious to hear what others say. On a practical note if I release the hydraulics for the loader, can I raise the loader (excavator on site) to make it possible to load this on a trailer, and what is the best way to pull it onto a trailer?

Thanks,

Peter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has the exhaust been covered for all the years it has been outside? If not, rainwater gets into the engine and it will be seized up.
Great hought. Does the exhaust path matter? I don't recall on this tractor but I know some exhaust paths have enough turns that water would be less likely to get there, but from what I recall of this 310 the path is pretty direct. Would it be safe to try and pull it in a higher gear to see if it moves, or should I attempt to get some oil in the there first or is there a recourse?

·
Registered
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910, Ford 555A, JD2210
543 Posts
I would definitely accept your friend's offer. Go get this tractor. He's tired of looking at it and might offer it to someone else if he thinks you aren't interested.

Place the FEL lift lever in the "float" position. Raise the bucket to whatever height you want. Place the lever back in the neutral position. The boom should stay up.

Whether you tackle this or hire someone is your choice. There's a long list of things the tractor might need before you get it running.

Once you get it home and start digging in come back and post your questions or issues. A lot of experience/talent here that will help you.

Welcome to TF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would definitely accept your friend's offer. Go get this tractor. He's tired of looking at it and might offer it to someone else if he thinks you aren't interested.

Place the FEL lift lever in the "float" position. Raise the bucket to whatever height you want. Place the lever back in the neutral position. The boom should stay up.

Whether you tackle this or hire someone is your choice. There's a long list of things the tractor might need before you get it running.

Once you get it home and start digging in come back and post your questions or issues. A lot of experience/talent here that will help you.

Welcome to TF.
Thanks Richard! I’ve already committed to getting the tractor at the end of May. I forgot about the float setting on the loader being some thing I could use here! You would think after 4000 hours on Kabota‘s for the last 10 years I would’ve thought of that! I imagine it will be a combination of me doing some work and someone else doing some work but either way at this point it’s a free tractor that I need to weigh in and give it a good shot. I’ll be back! Thanks for the welcome. Peter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
As a Belarus owner myself. Just understand what you're getting into. Electrical system and charge/overcharge issues are well documented. The PTO if not properly adjusted will cause slip and glazing of the bands and render it useless. Part availability is good(internet)but qualified mechanics with knowledge of a Belarus are few and far between. A shop manual is invaluable. I've been happy with my 8345 but it has not been trouble free. I'd check out WWW.MTZTractortalk.com forum for a lot of valuable information on the MTZ/Belarus tractor and most manuals are available to view or download. B.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Don’t take for granted the belarus 310 is positive ground. They had gone to negative ground on all(?) models by early 80’s. Your tractor should be late 80’s - early 90’s. Free manual’s also available on mtzbelarusparts.com. And Welcome to the forum… B.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has the exhaust been covered for all the years it has been outside? If not, rainwater gets into the engine and it will be seized up.
Fortunately the exhaust has a 90° turn at the top that makes it aim parallel to the ground so I would expect not too much water to have gotten down in there.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I feel by reading the posts, you are going to give it a go, so would I, especially if the freebee is a complete tractor, once you get the engine running, then that will enable you to check hydraulics, clutch and transmission, without outlaying money and from that, you will be able to decide to keep going or part the tractor out.

Let us know how things go later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I feel by reading the posts, you are going to give it a go, so would I, especially if the freebee is a complete tractor, once you get the engine running, then that will enable you to check hydraulics, clutch and transmission, without outlaying money and from that, you will be able to decide to keep going or part the tractor out.

Let us know how things go later.
Spot on! I will be picking it up at the end of May and as soon as I learn anything I will be checking back in here. Thank you to everyone for weighing into the conversation.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Get a receipt from the present owner, just in case.

If he asks, you cannot scrap without receipt.

Wouldn't want any hard feelings after all of your hard work.

Brian is 100% correct on this......Make sure that you get something in writing that you are now the owner of this tractor before you do anything to it.......And, I will agree with Fred and the others that say take it.,.......About the only thing I would turn down right now if it was free is another damned horse.......LOL

·
Administrator
11,239 Posts
Brian is 100% correct on this......Make sure that you get something in writing that you are now the owner of this tractor before you do anything to it.......And, I will agree with Fred and the others that say take it.,.......About the only thing I would turn down right now if it was free is another damned horse.......LOL
Well, they only burn hay and keep the pasture cut!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If only it was that simple. For me...horses are like boats...there's only 2 good days in an owners life!! I have had the pleasure(?) to have owned both and can't say I really miss either!! 🤑
I will drink to that.......I have had the pleasure of having both of those days with boats but only the first, so far, for horses......LOL......I need to come up with an acronym for horses like there are for Jeep and Boat.........

Jeep= Just empty every pocket
Boat= Bust out another thousand

1 - 20 of 21 Posts