Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have on old barn that was updated in 1997 but needs a new roof and major siding repair. There are sliding doors on one side that when they are closed leave a 10+" opening at the bottom so any critter can just walk in. The entire back and left side are like this. Any suggestions on how to close the gaps up?. It looks like they poured concrete footers for the posts but did not create a foundation. The front of the barn has a stone foundation and swinging doors on one side and sliders on the other. The front does not have a gap because of the foundation. The sliders there is a step up to a wooden foor. The swinging door side has a broken concrete slab. The barn is full of old post and beam parts and misc 200+yr old wood. I will have to clean it out before I can do any work. Any suggestions on how to close the gaps up?
Plant Wood Vegetation Grass Wall

back side of barn. you can see the carpenter ant and rot from being close to the ground. I put a board on the rt side to try and keep my dog out!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello JonK, welcome to the forum.

Years ago, I had a cedar picket fence around my back yard that started to rot on the bottom from ground moisture. The rest of the fence looked fine. I cut the bottom of the fence boards off to make room for a horizontal sacrificial treated board to fill the gap. I used a chalk line and a sabre saw rather than a circular saw for better control of the cut. Installed the bottom board, looked fine, and was still there when I sold the house and moved on. My plan was to replace the bottom boards when needed.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
So the 10 inch opening at the bottom of the doors, is it on the bottom of both doors or down the middle between the doors? If it is down the middle at the doors need to be adjusted at the top where the wheels are at.......The wheels are attached to bolts with nuts for adjustment.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the 10 inch opening at the bottom of the doors, is it on the bottom of both doors or down the middle between the doors? If it is down the middle at the doors need to be adjusted at the top where the wheels are at.......The wheels are attached to bolts with nuts for adjustment.......
The problem is the previous owner put in two cement/stone pillars on the left/right side of the door. They are not flush, they stick out. the sliding door is above the pillar and cannot be lowered. I will take close up pictures when I can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello JonK, welcome to the forum.

Years ago, I had a cedar picket fence around my back yard that started to rot on the bottom from ground moisture. The rest of the fence looked fine. I cut the bottom of the fence boards off to make room for a horizontal sacrificial treated board to fill the gap. I used a chalk line and a sabre saw rather than a circular saw for better control of the cut. Installed the bottom board, looked fine, and was still there when I sold the house and moved on. My plan was to replace the bottom boards when needed.
I believe initially they had boards that where tacked in for this purpose. I guess I can put them back. I was looking for a solution that would tighten up the barn. Eventually I would like to use the barn and would like to keep wildlife (bats, bobcats, racoons, squirells, opossum....) outside!

·
Administrator
11,210 Posts
How about a strip of material like conveyor belt bolted to the bottom of the door?
I'd also put a sacrificial wooden sill in the door way to help make the gap a little tighter.
If we've missed the pint of your question, perhaps a few more pictures of what you are talking about might help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts