Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We own a New Holland 55 hp tractor. It has one lever to run the hydraulics. When we try to run our older Massey Ferguson round baler we have to switch hoses to tighten belts and raise gate after a bale is made. We're getting mixes messages from "mechanics". Ideas?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Hello farmgirl, welcome to the forum.

What model New Holland tractor do you have? What are the mixed messages mechanics are telling you?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Welcome to the forum, farmgirl.......So your tractor only has one set of rear hydraulic remotes and your round baler requires two sets of rear hydraulic remotes is what I am hearing........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello farmgirl, welcome to the forum.

What model New Holland tractor do you have? What are the mixed messages mechanics are telling you?
It's a 55-HP Workmaster, 2011 model. There is only one lever for running remotes, which works great for our haybine, but not our round baler. We have to switch hydraulic hoses to raise the gate, then switch them back to tighten the belts. The dealer we bought the tractor from says we shouldn't have to do that, but yet we do! The dealer we bought the baler from says we shouldn't have to do that, yet we do! Neither will say "oh maybe something wrong" with either
Welcome to the forum, farmgirl.......So your tractor only has one set of rear hydraulic remotes and your round baler requires two sets of rear hydraulic remotes is what I am hearing........
That seems to be the case, though several mechanics have told us it should work with just the one -- to open the gate and tighten the belts simultaneously but it doesn't. Driving us nuts to get off the tractor and switch hoses every time we dump a bale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum. You can purchase a splitter scv block and run 2 outlets from your single outlet port. B.
Thanks, this we heard from a friend of a friend of a friend -- we live in a rural area and it'll take time to get the SCV block -- but it makes the most sense to us. Angers me because we've been square baler people forever and in trying to get this thing figured out people keep telling us it should work when it obviously doesn't work with one lever!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, this we heard from a friend of a friend of a friend -- we live in a rural area and it'll take time to get the SCV block -- but it makes the most sense to us. Angers me because we've been square baler people forever and in trying to get this thing figured out people keep telling us it should work when it obviously doesn't work with one lever!
However, there are only two hoses on the baler.

·
Registered
469 Posts
However, there are only two hoses on the baler.
Which model MF round baler? If you only have 2 hoses, then that is likely for a double acting cylinder on the rear gate..to raise and lower under pressure. Are you sure your gate is closing completely? The belts should tighten themselves as the rear gate closes, and set it’s belt pressure once completely down and locked. B.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
OK......Let me make sure that I understand what is going on........You first connect your hydraulic hoses one way and start bailing.......Then once you have a bale made you have to swap the hoses to life the rear gate and eject the bale then you have to switch them back to get the belts to tighten to bale another bale? At what point does the rear gate go back down and close? When you have the hoses connected to life the rear gate or when you have them connected to tighten the belts?

·
800 Posts
Okay we have a hardcore round baler which also has two hoses things are quite simple on those when you close the gate you max out pressure and a relief valve holds that pressure as the bail gets bigger and pressure rises on the cylinders it releases that's extra pressure . to me it sounds like you might have a bad Quick connect either on the tractor or the baler or your valve on the tractor is a single acting which I doubt, maybe your valve on the tractor has too much slop in the control arm or something is not fully engaging for the other side of the spool.

·
1,432 Posts
Okay we have a hardcore round baler which also has two hoses things are quite simple on those when you close the gate you max out pressure and a relief valve holds that pressure as the bail gets bigger and pressure rises on the cylinders it releases that's extra pressure . to me it sounds like you might have a bad Quick connect either on the tractor or the baler or your valve on the tractor is a single acting which I doubt, maybe your valve on the tractor has too much slop in the control arm or something is not fully engaging for the other side of the spool.
Actually, the valve COULD be single acting. It's not unheard of for remote valves to be "convertible" in that regard. I know they are on the Workmaster 75. That tractor uses a different valve, but it it has a stem on the back side that when backed out the valve operates as single acting. The parts list shows a stem of some sort with a knob on the valve for the 55. It could be for this purpose, or a flow control. By the layout of parts involved it doesn't look like a flow control.

To determine this, unplug BOTH hoses to the baler. Run the tractor at a steady RPM, maybe 1200 or so. Pull the remote lever fully one way and hold it until the pressure builds to system relief, then reverse the lever and see if it does the same in both directions. A double acting valve will load the motor, sound, and feel the same at the end of the stroke in both directions. A single acting valve will not.

·
800 Posts
I agree . when I said I doubt it is,
Actually, the valve COULD be single acting. It's not unheard of for remote valves to be "convertible" in that regard. I know they are on the Workmaster 75. That tractor uses a different valve, but it it has a stem on the back side that when backed out the valve operates as single acting. The parts list shows a stem of some sort with a knob on the valve for the 55. It could be for this purpose, or a flow control. By the layout of parts involved it doesn't look like a flow control.

To determine this, unplug BOTH hoses to the baler. Run the tractor at a steady RPM, maybe 1200 or so. Pull the remote lever fully one way and hold it until the pressure builds to system relief, then reverse the lever and see if it does the same in both directions. A double acting valve will load the motor, sound, and feel the same at the end of the stroke in both directions. A single acting valve will not.
I should have said by what you're explaining about the operation it does not sound like a single acting because they have to reverse the two hoses when opposite function is needed.

·
1,432 Posts
The tractor (with one remote valve) works fine on the haybine. Probably so. Most three point mounted mowers raise and lower with a single acting cylinder. It will actually work BETTER if the valve is set for that. I have a friend who went through two or three hydraulic pumps on his tractor because he was using a mounted disc mower without adjusting the remote valve for single acting use. He was deadheading the pump every time he lowered the mower. These little aluminum bodied gear pumps don't like that. He was surprised to learn his valves are convertible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts