Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I want to buy an new backpack leaf blower since the last homelite did not last. I am leaning toward the Stihl BR 340. Any experence would be appericated. Also, what are your opions about RedMax (sp?), since I have also seen them at the dealer. I want to stay in the price range below $350.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am not an authority on the subject, but the 71 year old lawn mower repair man that I took my little Mantis tiller to said that Echo is the "Caddilac" of the little small motors and that is why they are on the backpack mowers that commercial lawn service people use where they run them about 8 hours a day, 6 days per week during the busy season. Kinda makes sense to me, at least.
Perhaps someone with more experience with backpack blowers will come along with a better answer for you. I just have an old hand held one that is strong, starts easy and does a fine job for what little blowing I need done. I even go up on the roof with it and blow leaves and twigs off the roof and out of the gutters occasionally with it.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dealer I talked to said he could order it for me if a wanted one, but he told me there is just not that big of a demand for echo, so I am leaning toward Stihl.

Adam

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
At a commercial lawn site that i visit they talk highly of the Stihl and the RedMax so i don't think you could go wrong with ether.
Jody

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’m in the same boat – have been looking for backpack blowers for a while.

The two MFG’s I'm now considering, (after a little research) are Echo & RedMax. As mentioned above, Echo is supposedly the best you can get. Their model PB650 is one of the most powerful. I’ve seen them as cheap as $400 on ebay, (that’s for “new in the box”), but considering the source – I believe it lists around $500.

RedMax models look like workhorses and they’re what the landscapers use up here. That in itself has to tell you something. They only have a few models – it would appear the EBZ4800 = the Stihl you’re looking at – Looks like they run around $400. The EB7000 is their super machine @ $500+. Pop over to their website and they’ll give you a listing of local dealers.

http://www.redmax.com/products/line.cfm?Line=B

The key is CFM and MPH at the tip of the tube – the higher the numbers the better the performance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Best VALUE Stihl BR340, 45cc and a powerful blower at a low price under $300.00. RedMax EB7001RH, 62cc and one of the most powerful blowers on the market under $500.00. I agree with your dealer on the Echo as our store sells RedMax, Shindaiwa,Stihl and Husqvarna as well as Echo backpack blowers. I would take the Echo home last even though we've been an Echo dealer for 28 years. Echo has diluted their image with Home Depot as well as on-line sells of their equipment. My 2 cycle service techs like Echo the least, as they are put more ignitions on them than all the others combined. Just my observation. I would love to say more but I'd better stop as I'm still a dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
420c

Picked up a 420c this spring.Nice machine,very powerful[around $400] worth it.Most all my L&g equipment is Stihl from weed wackers to chain saws,very dependable they always start.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I have the Stihl STR 400. It is a sprayer but with very minor modification it is made into a blower. It is great for spraying trees and the garden. Can shoot a 40 ft. x 2 ft. column of mist. Also has as much CFM power as the BR 400. Only problem I have had with it was when the ignition coil went bad on it when I first bought it. It was repaired under warranty and I have since run about 30 gallons of fuel mix through it. I have a BG 85 for cleaning the roof gutters and smaller jobs. I am very happy with it as well but it is no where near the power of the STR 400.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts